An anti-gay Russian lawmaker wants his country to ban Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, from entering Russia, claiming he could bring with him infectious diseases.
Russia’s LGBT citizens know ofÂ Vitaly Milonov all too well. An outspoken,Â radically religiousÂ lawmaker and member of the nation’s majority ruling party, he was the sponsor of Vladimir Putin’s anti-gay laws that ban any public discussion or “promotion” of homosexuality. In fact, he authored a local law on which the national law was based.
This morning, barely hours after news broke in the U.S. that Apple CEO Tim Cook publicly announced he is gay, several conservative lawmakers around the world saw an opportunity and jumped on it to register their homophobia.
U.S. Republican Senator Ted Cruz was among them, but so wasÂ Vitaly Milonov.
Milonov told a local Russian news site that Cook should be banned from Russia.
Claiming gay people in America all have “unseemly ties,” Milanov asked,Â â€œWhat could he bring us? The Ebola virus, AIDS, gonorrhea?”
An unedited Google translation of Milanov’s comments reads:
“Thus it improves sales.Â Apple has become a popular brand.Â He is an artist who is first unwound as an artist, and then declares that he is homosexual.Â Now everyone knows that Apple does buggers, and each begins to change minds – well, he’s talented … It’s a shrewd political move, “- says V.Milonov.
Buzzfeed’s Max Seddon todayÂ reports Milonov “is an iPhone and iPad owner butÂ recently declaredÂ that an iPhone 6 his ‘European homophobe friends’ gave him was too vulnerable to U.S. spying for Russian officials to use.”
Elena Mizulina, the author of the federal ban,Â said in JulyÂ that iPhones were a key tool for pedophiles to film child pornography, but has herself been photographed using an iPad. Kremlin propaganda chief Dmitry Kiselyov, whoÂ once calledÂ for burning the hearts of gay people who die in car crashes â€œas unfit for life,â€Â has a pink iPhone.
Last fall, claiming reports of anti-gay violence in Russia were “fake,”Â Milonov said that gay people â€œrape kids,â€ Â and insisted there is no violence against gays, but â€œmuch more violenceâ€ by gay people against straight people.
Enjoy this piece?
… then let us make a small request. The New Civil Rights Movement depends on readers like you to meet our ongoing expenses and continue producing quality progressive journalism. Three Silicon Valley giants consume 70 percent of all online advertising dollars, so we need your help to continue doing what we do.
NCRM is independent. You won’t find mainstream media bias here. From unflinching coverage of religious extremism, to spotlighting efforts to roll back our rights, NCRM continues to speak truth to power. America needs independent voices like NCRM to be sure no one is forgotten.
Every reader contribution, whatever the amount, makes a tremendous difference. Help ensure NCRM remains independent long into the future. Support progressive journalism with a one-time contribution to NCRM, or click here to become a subscriber. Thank you. Click here to donate by check.
Trump Has Choosen Right Wing Extremist Amy Coney Barrett for SCOTUS – Did Not Interview Any Other Candidates: NYT
President Donald Trump has reportedly chosen a far right wing religious extremist, Judge Amy Coney Barrett, to be his third Supreme Court pick, according to The New York Times.
The Times is reporting, and contrary to Trump’s claims, that he did not interview any other candidates. Barrett was vetted, as much as any Trump White House candidates are, when he ultimately chose Brett Kavanaugh as his second SCOTUS choice.
Judge Barrett is anti-LGBTQ, anti-choice, and would vote to strike down Roe v. Wade and same-sex marriage.
She has made clear she does not respect stare decisis, the legal tenet that says Supreme Court decisions are settled law.
Barrett is just 48 years old, and could sit on the bench for four decades should she be confirmed.
Trump is slated to make his announcement Saturday at 5 PM.
The 9 Discarded Ballots Were Tossed Because Republicans Won Their Lawsuit Requiring Them to Not Be Counted: Report
Major news is coming in over the “case” of the nine “discarded” ballots from Luzerne County, Pennsylvania that President Donald Trump revealed to Fox News Radio on Thursday.
Here’s what appears to have happened, and we’re going to bullet point this so it’s easy to follow.
- The ballots were discarded by a temporary, or “contract” worker assigned to sort the mail who appears to have been following direction.
- The ballots were military ballots, not absentee or other by-mail ballots.
- The county immediately reported what happened to federal officials, who appear to have immediately politicized the issue.
- “Because these ballots were returned in envelopes similar to absentee ballot requests, elections officials opened them,” The Washington Post reports. “If the ballots weren’t then enclosed in another envelope which shielded the actual vote being cast, they may have been considered ‘naked ballots,’ a term used to describe mail ballots returned without the voter’s intent being protected.
- The Trump campaign and the Pennsylvania GOP in a lawsuit argued that “naked ballots” should not be counted. They won that lawsuit. These nine ballots appear to be “naked ballots,” and that appears to be the reason they were thrown out.
Here’s how MSNBC’s Chris Hayes sums it up: It’s the GOP’s fault.
TL:DR the discarded Trump ballots were discarded because…Trump and GOP lawyers won a lawsuit requiring them to not be counted!!! https://t.co/NE5s90GJDq
— Chris Hayes (@chrislhayes) September 25, 2020
- The contract worker has been told to not return.
- Buzzfeed adds it appears the DOJ violated its own policy by issuing a press release about the “discarded” ballots, and even worse, suggesting this is a case of election fraud, and even worse than that, suggesting one candidate over another was favored.
- MSNBC adds that county officials were not aware of who the ballots were for until the DOJ’s press release was issued.
- Attorney General Bill Barr personally briefed President Trump about the discarded ballots. Trump and his White House press secretary then politicized the event.
- The county elections supervisor was exceedingly thorough. “Garbage from the Elections Bureau from September 14 through September 16, the time the independent contractor was on County property, was put in a dumpster and secured by County staff,” a local Pennsylvania news report states. “The trash was then searched by the FBI, the Luzerne County District Attorney’s Office, the Pennsylvania State Police and county staff. All contents relating to the matter were taken by the FBI.”
Busted: Barr Personally Briefed Trump on DOJ Investigation Into 9 Discarded Ballots
Attorney General Bill Barr personally briefed President Donald Trump about nine ballots that were found discarded in Pennsylvania.
President Trump first revealed the investigation onto the small number of discarded ballots in an interview with Fox News Radio on Thursday. He later repeated and embellished his claims when talking with reporters later that day.
ABC News, which first reported Barr’s extreme involvement with the case and briefing the president, noted that Trump, “without evidence, argued that it bolsters his baseless claims of widespread fraud in mail-in voting.”
Trump used the information from the attorney general to spread more false allegations about by-mail voting being unsafe.
The Justice Dept. Thursday afternoon issued a press release claiming all nine were ballots cast for Trump. It later deleted that document and published a new one stating 7 of the 9 indicated votes for the president, and two were sealed and the contents unknown.
It is generally not regular practice for an attorney general to brief a president about a small situation. It is almost unheard of for the DOJ to issue a press release or comment on an investigation in progress, especially to reveal major details about the case.
“They were Trump ballots — eight ballots in an office yesterday in — but in a certain state and they were — they had Trump written on it, and they were thrown in a garbage can. This is what’s going to happen,” Trump told Fox News Radio. “This is what’s going to happen, and we’re investigating that.”
He later told reporters, “You know they found I understand eight ballots in a wastepaper basket in some location, they found it was reported in one of the newspapers that they found a lot of ballots in a river. They throw them out if they have the name ‘Trump’ on it I guess,” the President claimed.
“Okay, well they still found them in a river whether they had a name on it or not but the other ones had the Trump name on it. And they were thrown into a wastepaper basket.
NCRM found no reports of ballots being found in a river.
NBC News on Thursday noted that “the White House appeared to have a coordinated rollout of the information coming from the Justice Department.”
- DONALD TRUMP IS A FASCIST2 days ago
McConnell Responds to Trump Threat of Violence and Refusal to Commit to Peaceful Transition by Issuing a Tweet
- SCATHING2 days ago
Massive Movement of Former Top Military, State Dept, and National Security Officials – Many Republicans – Endorses Biden
- VLAD ON LINE ONE?3 days ago
‘I Have to Leave for an Emergency Phone Call’: Trump Splits From His Own Press Conference for a ‘Big Call’
- THIS IS FASCISM3 days ago
‘Trump Is Advocating Civil War’: Reporter Stunned When President Refuses to Commit to Peaceful Transfer of Power
- CRIME3 days ago
Eric Trump Has Been Refusing to Testify in Fraud Case – a Judge Just Ordered Him To
- DONALD TRUMP IS A FASCIST2 days ago
Watch: Crowd Erupts Into Boos and Chants of ‘Vote Him Out!’ as Trump Visits RBG Casket at Supreme Court
- RIGHT WING EXTREMISM3 days ago
DOJ Unveils Proposal That Would Make It Harder for Twitter and Facebook to Block Trump’s Dangerous Posts
- UNPROFESSIONAL2 days ago
‘Deranged’: McEnany Slams Dems and Attacks Reporter Who Asked if Trump Would Commit to Peaceful Transition of Power