Connect with us

At Wake, Pastor Calls Mother To Cancel Her Son’s Funeral – Because He Was Gay

Published

on

A Tampa church reneged on burying a legally-married gay man less than 24 hours before his scheduled funeral.

Pastor T.W. Jenkins of Tampa, Florida’s New Hope Missionary Baptist Church called Julie Atwood less than 24 hours before her 42-year old son, Julion Evans, was to be buried. She was standing at his casket during the wake when her phone rang. Pastor Jenkins told her that even though his church had agreed to bury her son, even though she and her son both grew up in his church, her son could not be buried there because he was gay. He reportedly used the word “blasphemous.”

“It was devastating,” Atwood told WFLA. “I did feel like he was being denied the dignity of death.”

Evans’ husband, Kendall Capers, says the pair were partners for 17 years and married last year in Maryland. Evans died at home after a 4-year battle with a rare illness called Amyloidosis, which destroys organs in the body.

He says the obituary named him as “husband,” and that their marriage was no secret.

“Everyone who knew us knew about our relationship,” he said. “We didn’t keep secrets.”

Parishioners reportedly complained to Pastor Jenkins after seeing the obituary printed in a local paper. 

Jenkins “says was not aware of that Evans had a husband or was gay” until parishioners complained.

Jenkins said his church preaches against gay marriage.

“Based on our preaching of the scripture, we would have been in error to allow the service in our church,” Jenkins said. “I’m not trying to condemn anyone’s lifestyle, but at the same time, I am a man of God, and I have to stand up for my principles.”

Pastor Jenkins did not state if his church had buried others who had lived a life in contradiction to his interpretation of the Bible.

 

Continue Reading
Click to comment
 
 

Enjoy this piece?

… then let us make a small request. The New Civil Rights Movement depends on readers like you to meet our ongoing expenses and continue producing quality progressive journalism. Three Silicon Valley giants consume 70 percent of all online advertising dollars, so we need your help to continue doing what we do.

NCRM is independent. You won’t find mainstream media bias here. From unflinching coverage of religious extremism, to spotlighting efforts to roll back our rights, NCRM continues to speak truth to power. America needs independent voices like NCRM to be sure no one is forgotten.

Every reader contribution, whatever the amount, makes a tremendous difference. Help ensure NCRM remains independent long into the future. Support progressive journalism with a one-time contribution to NCRM, or click here to become a subscriber. Thank you. Click here to donate by check.

DANGEROUS INCOMPETENCE

Shocking Emails Document Trump Administration’s Scheme to Muzzle the CDC — and Misinform Americans

Published

on

Emails obtained by The New York Times detail how Trump administration political appointees sought to silence the Centers for Disease Control during the coronavirus pandemic.

“On June 30, as the coronavirus was cresting toward its summer peak, Dr. Paul Alexander, a new science adviser at the Department of Health and Human Services, composed a scathing two-page critique of an interview given by a revered scientist at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention,” the newspaper reported. “Dr. Anne Schuchat, a 32-year veteran of the C.D.C. and its principal deputy director, had appealed to Americans to wear masks and warned, ‘We have way too much virus across the country.’ But Dr. Alexander, a part-time assistant professor of health research methods, appeared sure he understood the coronavirus better.”

“Her aim is to embarrass the president,” Alexander argued because Dr. Schuchat had urged masks while speaking to Journal of the American Medical Association. “She is duplicitous.”

The emails make it look like the Trump appointees actually believed Trump’s spin on the pandemic.

“Dr. Alexander’s point-by-point assessment, broken into seven parts and forwarded by Mr. Caputo to Dr. Robert R. Redfield, the C.D.C. director, was one of several emails obtained by The New York Times that illustrate how Mr. Caputo and Dr. Alexander attempted to browbeat career officials at the C.D.C. at the height of the pandemic, challenging the science behind their public statements and attempting to silence agency staff,” the newspaper reported. “Far from hiding what they knew about the virus’s danger, as Bob Woodward’s new book contends President Trump was doing, the emails seem to indicate that aides in Washington were convinced of their own rosy prognostications, even as coronavirus infections were shooting skyward.”

“At the same time, Mr. Caputo moved to punish the C.D.C.’s communications team for granting interviews to NPR and attempting to help a CNN reporter reach him about a public-relations campaign. Current and former C.D.C. officials called it a five-month campaign of bullying and intimidation,” The Times reported.

 

Continue Reading

PRESIDENT UNDER DELIVER

Watch: Trump Now Says Coronavirus Vaccine by April – Not Nov. 1 as He’s Promised for Weeks

Published

on

For months President Donald Trump and his top administration officials have been promising the coronavirus vaccine would be ready by November 1. White House chief of staff mark Meadows this week said “potentially” be the end of September. Trump, too, has pushed up the date, suggesting a vaccine could be ready in early October.

After CDC Director Robert Redfield testified before Congress on Wednesday that a vaccine would not be ready until early spring of 2021, or some time in the summer next year, Trump claimed he had been mistaken.

And then Trump went even further, promising not just that a coronavirus vaccine would be ready within weeks, but that timeline included “distribution” to Americans.

“I’m telling you, here’s the bottom line,” Trump said at Wednesday’s press conference, attacking a reporter. “Distribution’s going to be very rapid, he might not know that,” Trump said of the CDC director,.

“Maybe he’s not aware of that, and maybe he’s not dealing with the military, etc., like I do. Distribution’s going to be very rapid.”

But on Friday Trump totally changed his prediction.

Calling it “historic progress we’re making to deliver a safe and effective vaccine in record time,” Trump announced “three vaccines are already in the final stage.”

And then, Trump declared, “we expect to have enough vaccines for every American by April.”

Not September, October, or November.

The president added, “We’ll have manufactured at least 100 million vaccine doses before the end of the year, and likely much more than that. Hundreds of millions of doses will be available every month,” he said.

Again, not September, October, or November.

But given all the important details, including testing, manufacturing the vaccine, manufacturing the delivery methods – meaning vials and syringes – and manufacturing the technology and infrastructure to transport vaccine at 70 degrees below zero, having at least 100 million vaccine doses before the end of the year, and being able to inoculate Americans are two very different things.

Trump also took false swipes at Vice President Joe Biden.

Watch:

Continue Reading

OUR FASCIST PRESIDENT

White House Preparing Shortlist to Replace FBI Director Wray After He Testified on Russia Attacking Election: Report

Published

on

The White House is preparing a list of names for President Donald Trump to use as it prepares to replace FBI Director Christopher Wray, just one day after he testified before Congress that Russia again is attacking the U.S. election.

“The White House is preparing a shortlist of candidates to replace Christopher Wray as FBI Director,” Newsmax White House Correspondent Emerald Robinson reported, but has not been confirmed by other reporters.

Wray would be the second FBI director Trump will have fired over Russia.

“The intelligence community’s consensus is that Russia continues to try to influence our elections, primarily through what we would call malign foreign influence,” Director Wray told the House Homeland Security Committee Thursday.

He added, “we certainly have seen very active, very active efforts by the Russians to influence our election in 2020.”

Hours later President Trump mocked, slammed, and scolded Director Wray, tweeting: “But Chris, you don’t see any activity from China, even though it is a FAR greater threat than Russia, Russia, Russia. They will both, plus others, be able to interfere in our 2020 Election with our totally vulnerable Unsolicited (Counterfeit?) Ballot Scam. Check it out!”

Far right wing Georgia Congressman called for Wray to resign Thursday:

Wray had also responded to a question specifically about Russia.

He also responded to a question about domestic terrorism, warning that white supremacists are the “biggest chunk” of racially motivated violent extremism and terrorism, and “have been responsible for the most lethal activity.”

US Naval War College professor and Russia expert Tom Nichols weighed in on the Newsmax claim:

Newsmax is already interviewing supposed short list candidates:

And minutes ago CNN asked former acting FBI Director Andrew McCabe if he thinks Trump will fire Wray:

 

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2020 AlterNet Media.