The American Family Association yesterday decided to wage an all-out war across its channels, and in one instance published a scathing editorial attacking Tim Tebow, saying he was “caving” to the “liberal media.” The piece even created a Twitter hashtag, #TebowCaves, and urged readers to slam Tim Tebow over his very personal decision to cancel a speaking engagement atÂ the First Baptist Church of Dallas, aÂ church run byÂ anti-gay, anti-Islam, anti-Obama, anti-choice, anti-Catholic PastorÂ Robert Jeffress.
Last night, the article had well over 200 comments, the vast majority of them slamming not Tim Tebow, but theÂ American Family Association and the head of its One News Now “news” website, Tim Wildmon.
The readers were so angry thatÂ One News Now removed the storyÂ (note the “404” not found) and republished it, drastically changing the focus from trying to create a Frankensteinian peoples’ villager burning of Tim Tebow, to one claiming “This was more of a story about the bullying by the media.”
Lest the AFA try to claim the article didn’t exist, here’s a screenshot of Google’s results, and above, their own, nasty tweets.
One News Now never documented what media “bullying” it claims was so intense that Tim Tebow had to “cave.”
For more, read theÂ American Family Association’s Bryan Fischer’s response to the Tim Tebow news:
No possible explanations that come to mind reflect favorably on Tebow at this point. If he publicly separates himself from Dr. Jeffressâ€™ thoroughly biblically and historically orthodox views on matters of faith, then this makes him look weak and soft, because there is no flaw in Dr. Jeffressâ€™ theology.
If Tebow doesnâ€™t disagree with Dr. Jeffressâ€™ theology, then this makes him look like a coward who flinches under pressure rather than standing tall and strong.
Martin Luther said, â€œWhere the battle rages, there the loyalty of the soldier is proved; and to be steady on all the battlefield besides is mere flight and disgrace if he flinches at that point.â€
Instead of standing with the Christian leader of their day, the disciples of Christ fled like panicked sheep when he came under direct attack. I had thought and hoped Tebow was made of sterner stuff.
Tebow needs to clarify and expand on his remarks immediately, and undo this disastrous decision. Dr. Jeffress is a man of unconditional love and will gladly receive him back.
If Tim Tebow doesnâ€™t reverse field here, much more than his NFL career is in jeopardy.
BloggerÂ Alvin McEwen, author ofÂ Holy Bullies and Headless Monsters, on his website chronicled some of the readers’ comments:
- I am not disappointed in Tebow, but in you for setting up a hashtag and news headline “tebowcaves” to automate heckling of someone that has stood far beyond where most people, and probably yourself would stand. Why would you create a link to entice thousands of others to torment him? As believers we understand that your acts do not represent Christianity, However, non believers view these type of acts as a representation of “Christians”. Please consider your actions before recruiting thousands of people to turn against another believer. Thank you.
- Â My thoughts mirror most of the prior ones. How quickly we jump to conclusions w/o knowing the whole story. Tim Tebow has not suddenly become the bad guy here. We should be showing our love and support during what must be a difficult time for him. How can we “Christians” turning on him help the situation? It’s hardly acting the part of a Christian…
- Much as I have supported, sponsored and appreciated AFA for years, and as aÂ large part of my pro-family, anti-tyranny activism is through them, I believeÂ that the hashtags are a downright mean-spirited idea and I’m ashamed of AFA inÂ that regard. From the whole world’s history with Tebow’s faithfulness to date in the face of the diseased liberal left, I think we can be certain he knows how to pray about hisÂ own decisions –and has the freedom to do so! Good GRIEF, AFA! Voice your disappointment if you wish, and raise questions that will draw accurate answers when the facts come in, but draw the line at bullying, please! You’ve got anÂ apology to make, and I hope to see you somehow back off that foolishÂ mob-gathering “Tebowcaves” hashtag. You are always ready for me to pop offÂ pointed letters that register my disappointment with various offenders; well,Â here’s my letter to you.
- I couldn’t agree more,Â …. I will be looking a lot more closely at AFA activity and agenda in the future before I jump in and support. My antennae are up bigtime …
- What is wrong with the people that wrote this article?? You’re being judgemental! You are not God. Only Tim knows what is between him and God and the reasons he is not speaking at this church. Read the Bible and you will see many instances where people are persecuted for doing the very thing God has asked them to do. Several years ago (about 12 years), my family and our pastor’s family started a new church. We felt the Lord was calling for us to do that work. Wouldn’t you know it, the very people that made fun of us by calling us names (seriously!) were the supposed Christians we had attended church with earlier! Today, that church is alive and well. If God is in it, NO man can defeat it. Tim, you keep doing what the Lord tells you to do…………pay no mind to mere men who call themselves Christian.
- When a pastor chooses to take such a public stance on controversial issues – perhaps devoid of the wisdom of the Holy Spirit, I might add – then they will get the attention they want, but only serve to further separate people rather than helping people join together. Chasing homosexuals from your church is not what Jesus did. This pastor is a loudmouth who wanted attention…and he got it. clapclapclap But I do not applaud his clumsy attention-getting behavior. I do applaud Tebow distancing himself from this loudmouth attention seeker. While we all are guilty of all-too-Human behavior from time to time, pastors must hold themselves to a higher standard and not take advantage of the trust and sometimes blind faith congregations have in THEM, rather than in Jesus Christ. Just sayin’.
- I am no longer in receiving messages or participating in this judgmental site. I’m not perfect like the people who run it. I don’t deserve to associate with them.
TheÂ American Family Association showed its true, very unChristian colors, and their flock finally woke up and turned on them.
Expect more in the future, as people who try to live by Christ’s message realize theÂ American Family Association is actually a hate group.
Enjoy this piece?
… then let us make a small request. The New Civil Rights Movement depends on readers like you to meet our ongoing expenses and continue producing quality progressive journalism. Three Silicon Valley giants consume 70 percent of all online advertising dollars, so we need your help to continue doing what we do.
NCRM is independent. You won’t find mainstream media bias here. From unflinching coverage of religious extremism, to spotlighting efforts to roll back our rights, NCRM continues to speak truth to power. America needs independent voices like NCRM to be sure no one is forgotten.
Every reader contribution, whatever the amount, makes a tremendous difference. Help ensure NCRM remains independent long into the future. Support progressive journalism with a one-time contribution to NCRM, or click here to become a subscriber. Thank you. Click here to donate by check.
Matt Gaetz Just Compared Child Sex Trafficking Allegations to a Parliamentary Debate on Earmarks: Report
Embattled Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) addressed the Ohio Political Summit in Strongsville on Saturday.
NBC News correspondent Henry Gomez reported from the event, noting “a bunch of Senate and gov candidates have backed out of the event.”
Gomez reported Rep. Lauren Boebert (R-CO), “was supposed to speak at this event this afternoon but she’s nowhere to be found. Organizer won’t answer questions about if she’s still speaking and just pulled a candidate from a different congressional district on stage to fill the time.”
When Gaetz took the stage, he reportedly addressed the allegations against him.
“I’m being falsely accused of exchanging money for naughty favors. Yet, Congress has reinstituted a process that legalizes the corrupt act of exchanging money for favors, through earmarks,” Gaetz said.
Gaetz: “I’m being falsely accused of exchanging money for naughty favors. Yet, Congress has reinstituted a process that legalizes the corrupt act of exchanging money for favors, through earmarks.”
— Henry J. Gomez (@HenryJGomez) May 15, 2021
Busted: Marjorie Taylor Greene Caught Illegally Claiming a ‘Big Tax Break’ in Georgia
Local press in Georgia caught Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA) illegally claiming a major tax break.
“A Channel 2 Action News investigation has found that Georgia Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene and her husband have two active homestead exemptions, which is against Georgia law. A homestead exemption is a big tax break any Georgia homeowner is entitled to for their primary residence. It is against the law to file for more than one,” WSB-TV reported Friday.
“But Channel 2 investigative reporter Justin Gray pulled records showing that the Greenes are getting the tax break on two different homes in two different counties,” the network reported.
WSB-TV had a fascinating interaction when it called the controversial Republican’s office.
“In a statement, Greene’s office told Gray to mind his own business and called it a ‘pathetic smear’ when he asked them about the homestead exemptions,” the network reported. “Greene still owns a North Fulton county home, but also bought a $610,000 house in Floyd County last year in the 14th Congressional district, which she represents.”
Bombshell Report on Matt Gaetz Is Just the Beginning: ‘This Is the Start of a Long Road’
One of the reporters who broke the bombshell Daily Beast report on Matt Gaetz doing cocaine with an escort who had a no-show state job said the story is just the first in many to come.
MSNBC’s Chris Hayes interviewed Jose Pagliery on Friday about the report.
Exclusive: US Congressman Matt Gaetz snorted cocaine at a GOP fundraiser after-party… with an escort.
His donors footed the bill, because the hotel was a campaign expense.
The woman landed a taxpayer-funded job… where no one saw her work.https://t.co/uGIqQhALAj
— 𝙅𝙤𝙨𝙚 𝙋𝙖𝙜𝙡𝙞𝙚𝙧𝙮 (@Jose_Pagliery) May 14, 2021
“When Rep. Matt Gaetz attended a 2019 GOP fundraiser in Orlando, his date that night was someone he knew well: a paid escort and amateur Instagram model who led a cocaine-fueled party after the event, according to two witnesses. The Florida congressman’s one-time wingman, Joel Greenberg, will identify that escort to investigators as one of more than 15 young women Gaetz paid for sex, according to a source familiar with the investigation,” The Beast reported.
“But what distinguishes this woman, Megan Zalonka, is that she turned her relationship with Greenberg into a taxpayer-funded no-show job that earned her an estimated $7,000 to $17,500, according to three sources and corresponding government records obtained by The Daily Beast. On Oct. 26, 2019, Gaetz attended the “Trump Defender Gala” fundraiser as the featured speaker at the Westgate Lake Resort in Orlando. Two witnesses present recalled friends reconvening at Gaetz’s hotel room for an after-party, where Zalonka prepared lines of cocaine on the bathroom counter. One of those witnesses distinctly remembers Zalonka pulling the drugs out of her makeup bag, rolling a bill of cash, and joining Gaetz in snorting the cocaine,” The Beast reported.
“It seems to me, should this all be true, I just feel like there’s not going to be real shortage of witnesses here,” Hayes said. “Has a real open secret vibe to me right now.”
“This was an afterparty, we have identified at least half a dozen people who were there and saw this take place,” Pagliery said. “The reason that we decided to break this news and start with this one is that there are lots of other parties like this. There are more young women, more locations and more actions and bad behavior on the part of Gaetz and Greenberg that we’re going to be exposing.”
“This is the start of a long road,” he added.
- 'NOT MENTALLY STABLE'3 days ago
‘Only a Matter of Time’: Americans Concerned After ‘Crazy Person’ Marjorie Taylor Greene Accosts AOC
- RIGHT WING EXTREMISM2 days ago
AOC Calls Marjorie Taylor Greene ‘Deeply Unwell’ After 38 Minute Video of Her Stalking Ocasio-Cortez Is Unearthed
- News2 days ago
Unearthed Video Shows Marjorie Taylor Greene Harassing Ocasio-Cortez’s Office More Than Two Years Ago
- News3 days ago
Pelosi: Marjorie Taylor Greene’s ‘Verbal Assault’ and ‘Abuse’ of AOC ‘Probably Is a Matter for the Ethics Committee’
- GROW UP2 days ago
Marjorie Taylor Greene Goes on Angry Rant Demanding AOC ‘Debate Me’ One Day After Accosting Her
- RIGHT WING EXTREMISM3 days ago
Newsmax Host Off Air After Online Outrage Over Antisemitic Remarks
- CRIME3 days ago
Active Duty US Marine Corps Officer Arrested for Alleged Role in January 6 Insurrection: DOJ
- LIES AND THE LYING LIARS THAT TELL THEM2 days ago
‘Not Even Close to True’: CNN Blasts Just-Elected GOP Caucus Chair Elise Stefanik’s ‘Wildly Inaccurate’ First Speech