Under a President Mitt Romney, there are at least 22 advances in LGBT civil rights delivered by President Barack Obama that most likely will disappear. While Nancy Pelosi and, to a far lesser extent, Harry Reid, have worked to support civil rights and protections for the gay community, Barack Obama has — sometimes with great fanfare, oftentimes in the shadows — delivered important advances.
Back in 2010, at Change.org, I wrote a somewhat controversial (at the time) article, “Obama’s Gay Rights Come With An Expiration Date,” which stated:
President Obama should know better than to incrementalize gay rights, and tie them to his presidency. And yet, that’s exactly what he’s doing.
President Obama has slowly and quietly doled out rights to the LGBTQ community. These are rights we should have by the very nature of our existence, rights that every other American has upon birth, but the president has doled them out cautiously, meekly, without pomp or circumstance, and, worse, he has tied them to his presidency.
This tactic is problematic for two reasons.
First, by expanding our civil rights by issuing executive orders and memoranda, President Obama’s gay civil rights come with an expiration date. Yes, that’s right. The rights he has decreed, without working through Congress, are tied to his presidency. Any of his successors can, simply with the stroke of a pen, wipe out all our hard-earned rights, just because he or she wants to. Do you honestly think the next Republican presidentÂ won’tÂ do that?
Today, the Washington Blade’s Chris Johnson posts a long list of 21 LGBT advances a President Romney could — with the stroke of a pen or incrementally — make disappear into a more progressive history.
Asking, “Would President Romney undo pro-LGBT advances?,” Johnson notes:
Many of the pro-LGBT advances that have happened under the Obama administration occurred through changes made by the executive branch rather than through legislation. Changes that were made without the consent of Congress could be reversed under an administration that wanted to cozy up to the religious right.
The Washington Blade has identified five regulatory changes and 16 sub-regulatory changes enacted by the Obama administration that could be reversed if Romney were elected to the White House. These changes include giving greater recognition to same-sex couples, protecting federal LGBT workers against discrimination and ensuring the federal government recognizes the correct gender of transgender people.
The one Johnson doesn’t include in his list of “five regulatory changes and 16 sub-regulatory changes” is the most-obvious: Obama’s support of same-sex marriage equality.
Here’s the list from the Blade:
The Administrative Procedures Act provides safeguards against politically motivated policy switches.Â Thus repealing the policies below would involve a multi-year process.
- The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) adopted a regulation ending the ban on HIV-positive visitors and immigrants.
- President Obama issued Presidential Memorandum in April 2010 directing HHS to issue regulations requiring all hospitals receiving Medicaid and Medicare to prohibit discrimination in visitation against LGBT people.Â HHS issued a final regulation that went into effect in early 2011.
- HUD issued final regulations in January 2012 prohibiting discrimination in federal public housing programs and federally insured mortgage loans.Â HUD also requires its grantees to comply with LGBT-inclusive state and local housing discrimination protections.
- The Office of Personnel Management published final regulations in the Federal Register expanding the eligibility for long-term care coverage to same-sex partners and sick leave to care for a same-sex partner.
- Â The federal Prison Rape Elimination Commission proposed national standards to reduce sexual abuse in correctional facilities, including standards regarding LGBT and intersex inmates. They were later instituted as a rule finalized by the Justice Department last month.
Sub-Regulatory Guidance/Policy Announcements
These are policy advances instituted by â€” and subject to the will of â€” the administration.
- The Department of Health and Human Services revised its funding guidance around abstinence-only-until-marriage sex education programs, requiring that recipient programs are inclusive of and non-stigmatizing toward LGBT youth.
- HHS, in partnership with the Department of Education and Department of Justice, launchedÂ stopbullyingnow.com.
- The U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency recently released new 2011 Performance Based National Detention Standards.Â These new standards provide guidance that aims to improve treatment of LGBT and HIV-positive people in detention facilities.
- In summer 2011, ICE published a memo and clarifying guidance providing that an individualâ€™s family relationships, including a same-sex relationship, would be considered as a factor in labeling certain deportations as low-priority deportations.
- The U.S. Customs and Border Patrol announced a proposed regulatory change expanding the meaning of â€œmembers of a family residing in one householdâ€ for the purposes of the customs declaration form, which must be completed prior to re-entry to the United States.
- The DOJ issued an opinion clarifying that the criminal provisions of the Violence Against Women Act related to stalking and abuse apply equally to same-sex partners.
- The State Department revised the standards for changing a gender marker on a passport, making the process less burdensome for transgender people.
- In September 2011, the Social Security Administration confirmed that it ended the practice of allowing gender to be matched in its Social Security Number Verification System (SSNVS). This resulted in the immediate cessation of SSA sending notifications that alert employers when the gender marker on an employeeâ€™s W-2 does not match Social Security records.
- The State Department extended numerous benefits to the partners of Foreign Service officers, including diplomatic passports and access to emergency evacuation.
- The State Department reversed a Bush administration policy that refused to use a same-sex marriage license as evidence of a name change for passports.
- The Department of Education issued guidance clarifying when student bullying may violate federal law, distributed a memo outlining key components of strong state anti-bullying laws and policies and made clear to public schools that gay-straight alliances have a right to form and meet.
- The Department of Education published guidance and, in coordination with the Department of Justice, has pursued Title IX complaints filed by LGBT students experiencing harassment based on sex or sex stereotyping.
- OPM added gender identity to the equal employment opportunity policy governing all federal jobs.
- The Department of Labor issued guidance clarifying that an employee can take time off under the Family and Medical Leave Act to care for a same-sex partnerâ€™s child.
- The IRS clarified that domestic partners (and their children) can be designated beneficiaries for VEBA funding/payment purposes.
- The Census Bureau overturned the Bush administrationâ€™s interpretation of the Defense of Marriage Act and agreed to release data on married same-sex couples along with other demographic information from the 2010 Census.
Enjoy this piece?
… then let us make a small request. The New Civil Rights Movement depends on readers like you to meet our ongoing expenses and continue producing quality progressive journalism. Three Silicon Valley giants consume 70 percent of all online advertising dollars, so we need your help to continue doing what we do.
NCRM is independent. You won’t find mainstream media bias here. From unflinching coverage of religious extremism, to spotlighting efforts to roll back our rights, NCRM continues to speak truth to power. America needs independent voices like NCRM to be sure no one is forgotten.
Every reader contribution, whatever the amount, makes a tremendous difference. Help ensure NCRM remains independent long into the future. Support progressive journalism with a one-time contribution to NCRM, or click here to become a subscriber. Thank you. Click here to donate by check.
Trump-Loving Bishop Blasted for Attacking Biden-Harris as ‘First Time in Awhile’ Dems Not Running a Catholic (They Are)
Catholic Bishop Thomas Tobin has a long history on entering the political arena with ugly attacks, and barely minutes after the Biden campaign announced U.S. Senator Kamala Harris would be the vice presidential running mate, he struck again.
“Biden-Harris,” Tobin, the Bishop of Providence, Rhode Island, tweeted. “First time in awhile that the Democratic ticket hasn’t had a Catholic on it. Sad,” he wrote, in Trumpian fashion.
In other words, this Bishop has effectively declared Joe Biden is not a Catholic and not allowed to be a Catholic. It’s an ugly attack on a man who is a devout Catholic – and a similar line of attack the Trump campaign made last week.
Weeks before the 2016 election Tobin posted a message to his followers on Facebook, essentially given his support to Donald Trump, writing: “Only with strong Christian values can we ‘make America great again!’”
Tobin last year generated controversy for posting an extremely homophobic tweet warning his fellow Catholics about LGBTQ Pride month, and falsely claiming that gay pride and gay “culture” “are especially harmful for children,” an ironic statement given that the Catholic Church itself has proven to be especially harmful for children.
Last year the Boston Globe published an opinion column titled, “If Donald Trump were a bishop, he’d be named Tom Tobin.”
In 2009 Tobin declared Catholic elected officials owed a duty to their faith first, not to the people they were elected to serve.
“Any Catholic in public office – his first commitment has to be to his faith,” he said.
But Tobin has no problem praising a president who is the epitome of anti-Catholic.
Thank you President Trump! Why should PP receive tax-payer dollars to support their evil work of abortion? https://t.co/p59lpklpDU
— Bishop Thomas Tobin (@ThomasJTobin1) February 23, 2019
Many are angered by Tobin’s Tuesday evening remarks:
funny, during the decade I spent as a youth minister and the 40 years I’ve spent on this planet as a Catholic, I was taught that being baptized into the Body of Christ was permanent, I didn’t know bishops were empowered to delete your baptism via tweet
— Claire Willett (@clairewillett) August 11, 2020
You allowed children to be abused for years under you watch. You’re an embarrassment to Catholicism and a truly shameful human being.
— Matt McDermott (@mattmfm) August 11, 2020
It’s weird to define someone’s religion entirely by their abortion stance, but I guess it’s something you can all agree to put the Spotlight on.
— Tentin Quarantino (@agraybee) August 11, 2020
Have you invalidated his baptism or excommunicated him or are you a disciple of Trump?
— David Bayne (@bayned) August 11, 2020
Biden lost his wife young children to an automobile accident and a grown son to cancer. My Aunt-in-law is a church-going Catholic. Trump’s talk about Biden “hurting God and hurting the Bible” is enough of blasphemy for her vote Democratic the first time in her life. #ShameOnYou
— SFDiva (@SFDiva2) August 11, 2020
(1) “a while” is two words
(2) Joe Biden is Catholic
(3) Saying otherwise because you think women are state-owned wombs is an example of the No True Scotsman fallacy
— Jedi, Interrupted 🏳️🌈 (@JediCounselor) August 11, 2020
Biden is a Catholic. Are you not aware or did you just decide his baptism isn’t valid?
— ConsistentLifeEthic (@ProLifeAll) August 11, 2020
You need help. Your religion is dying faster than Trump’s re-election campaign.
You also need a communications professional.
You’re a joke without being funny.
— kathleenlayton (@kathleenlala) August 11, 2020
Biden is a life long practicing Catholic.
Trump couldn’t quote you one Bible verse.
Do your research.
— DeborahB66 (@B66Deborah) August 11, 2020
Biden is a practicing Catholic – he was baptized Catholic – kind of a weird take from a Bishop. But you know Trump – a 2x divorcee who has 5 kids from 3 mothers and cheated on all 3 of his wives. And you all wonder why people are leaving the church in droves.
— mo chroi (@mochroi30) August 11, 2020
No. You’re NOT pro-life unless you are speaking out against Trump every day. His incompetence is killing real BORN Americans. You are pro-fetus & would force a woman to risk her life to carry a pregnancy to term. And, hon. Judge not lest ye also be judged is a thing.
— Karen Pearce (@FairMountain) August 11, 2020
‘You Guys Really Do Suck Without WikiLeaks’: Trump Decimated for Calling Biden VP Pick Kamala Harris ‘Phony’
President Donald Trump has labeled U.S. Senator Kamala Harris (D-CA), just announced as Joe Biden’s vice presidential running mate, “phony,” and Biden’s “political living will.”
“Not long ago Kamala Harris called Joe Biden a racist and asked for an apology she never received,” the Trump campaign said in a statement. That is false.
“Clearly, Phony Kamala will abandon her own morals, as well as try to bury her record as a prosecutor, in order to appease the anti-police extremists controlling the Democrat Party,” the statement, allegedly penned by Katrina Pierson, continues.
Trump and his campaign were quickly mocked.
Projecting Donald, the phony businessman and phony president, accusing a lifetime public servant like @SenKamalaHarris of being phony just tells you how scared he is. And he should be scared. #BidenHarris2020 pic.twitter.com/QIDa761D9R
— Chris B (@ChrisBEsq) August 11, 2020
Phony Kamala Harris? You had weeks to come up with something clever and this is the best you could do? You guys really do suck without WikiLeaks and the Troll Factory. Thoughts and prayers. https://t.co/2b8fwHjHeJ
— Christopher Bouzy (@cbouzy) August 11, 2020
Trump’s team lands! They found their childish, infantile, sophomoric, immature, juvenile nickname for Kamala Harris. It’s Phony Kamala.
— Kurt Eichenwald (@kurteichenwald) August 11, 2020
Wow. You’re a talent, aren’t ya?
The guy with a hair sprayed combover, a fake tan, elevator shoes and fake Time magazine covers actually calling someone ‘phony’?
Look in the mirror, Clownie, you’ll see plenty of phony!!
— 🇺🇸 I Am Taz 🇬🇷 (@BillTzamaras) August 11, 2020
That’s the best you got? https://t.co/Pkya7UB4Py
— Anthony Michael Kreis (@AnthonyMKreis) August 11, 2020
President #Trump immediately attacks @JoeBiden’s VP choice, @KamalaHarris his campaign ad’ (below) calls them “Sleepy Joe and Phony Kamala”. His immediate reaction suggests #POTUS is rattled. https://t.co/tk3cLwX2kw
— Gavin Duffy (@GavinDuffy) August 11, 2020
— We Are All Other (@WeAreAllOther) August 11, 2020
Trump is already calling her Phony Kamala. He’s so boring and predictable. Oh and scared, I forgot to say scared. He’s definitely scared. #BidenHarris2020
— Susan (@counselorSusanr) August 11, 2020
“Phony Kamala”…. You couldn’t even think of something else with a “K” @realDonaldTrump. Doofus Donald.
— Gaza Jim (@Staydafuckmad) August 11, 2020
Kamala Harris Is Joe Biden’s Vice Presidential Running Mate
U.S. Senator Kamala Harris is presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden’s vice presidential running mate. The first term California Democratic Senator also served for six years as the Attorney General for the Golden State and for seven years as the District Attorney of San Francisco.
Harris, who is 55, made headlines for her tough and unrelenting questioning of two Trump Attorneys General, Jeff Sessions and Bill Barr, and Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh. She is rated a “Hard-Core Liberal” by OnTheIssues.
Sen. Harris become the first Black American and first Asian American to be chosen as a major party vice presidential candidate and running mate.
NBC News was first to report the news.
I have the great honor to announce that I’ve picked @KamalaHarris — a fearless fighter for the little guy, and one of the country’s finest public servants — as my running mate.
— Joe Biden (@JoeBiden) August 11, 2020
This is a breaking news and developing story. Details may change. This story will be updated, and NCRM will likely publish follow-up stories on this news. Stay tuned and refresh for updates.
- News2 days ago
Trump-Loving ‘True Victim of the Pandemic’ Nikki Haley Slammed for Complaining Her Birthday Popcorn Order Was Late
- CORRUPTION3 days ago
White House Turmoil as Mnuchin and Navarro Got in ‘Knockdown, Drag-Out’ Yelling Match – as Trump Sat and Watched: Report
- News2 days ago
‘Angry’ Trump Michigan Voters Admit They Want ‘This Nightmare to End’ in November
- AMERICAN IDIOTS21 hours ago
George Conway Burns to the Ground Trump Supporters Who Are Suckered by His Lies
- RACISM2 days ago
911 Called After Black Teens Attacked by Knife-Wielding Homeless Man – Cops Show Up and Draw Guns on the Kids
- NOPE NOPE NOPE18 hours ago
‘George Washington Would Have Had a Hard Time Beating Me’: Trump Brags His Poll Numbers Are ‘Going Up Like a Rocket’
- WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE?2 days ago
‘Colonizing in the Name of Jesus’: Missionary Leader Blasted for Trying to Convert Indigenous People to Christianity
- SURE JAN SURE2 days ago
Trump Swears Dems Are Calling Him Begging to Negotiate on the Stimulus — but He ‘Got Everything He Wanted’ Already