stats for wordpress
<% unless FeatureFlag.disable_quantcast? %> <% end %>
 







Are you on Facebook?

Would you please click "like" in the box to your right, or

Visit us on Facebook!


Three Out Of Four Americans Believe The Bible Is The Word Of God

by David Badash on June 4, 2014

in News,Religion

Post image for Three Out Of Four Americans Believe The Bible Is The Word Of God

76 percent of Americans self-identify as Christian, and in a new survey out today, seventy-five percent of Americans believe that to some degree, the Bible is the word of God. Overall, that number has dropped somewhat over the past decade. In 2003, 82 percent of Americans said the Bible is the word of God, likely thanks to the born again Evangelical Christian who occupied the White House, and the nation’s entry into the Iraq War.

Today, Gallup finds, 28 percent of Americans say they believe the Bible is the actual word of God, to be taken literally, word for word. Another 47 percent say they believe the Bible is the inspired word of God, but not to be taken literally. Combined, that’s 75 percent.

That 28 percent rate of Americans who believe the Bible is the actual word of God is “somewhat below the 38% to 40% seen in the late 1970s, and near the all-time low of 27% reached in 2001 and 2009,” Gallup observes. “About one in five Americans view the Bible in purely secular terms — as ancient fables, legends, history, and precepts written by man — which is up from 13% in 1976.”

In a curious statement, Gallup author Lydia Saad concludes, “the finding that nine in 10 Christians believe the Bible emanates from God indicates that U.S. Christians are Christian in more than name only,” a supposition not supported by the poll.

 
Gallup
 

Images: Top by Waiting For The Word via Flickr, graph via Gallup

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friends:

We invite you to sign up for our new mailing list, and subscribe to The New Civil Rights Movement via email or RSS.

Also, please like us on Facebook, and follow us on Twitter!

{ 8 comments }

ImcalledDale June 4, 2014 at 7:12 pm

I started out in the dark green in my youth, but the more Leviticus was thrown in my face, and the more I took the time to read it, the lighter that green became.

Since59 June 4, 2014 at 7:41 pm

Apparently 3 out of 4 Americans lack critical thinking skills.

BJLincoln June 4, 2014 at 8:30 pm

That is sad and scary. No wonder we are so backwards on some issues.
The scary part too is they are trying to insert these beliefs into our nations school books.
I was taken to church most of my childhood and tried hard to believe but had too many questions that "Because God said so" was not answering. After years of floundering and studying religions, I discovered Pagans. I have been one around 35 years.

WayneMPLS June 5, 2014 at 8:31 am

Well it should also be noted that a combined 49% of people believe the book is a collection of fables and should not be taken literally even though some believe it to be "inspired" by gawd. That's what the graph shows me. Really, the sooner we can do away with the "sky fairies" the sooner we'll progress. Think of all the time we've wasted, we could have become so much more.

Tom_in_CA June 5, 2014 at 1:30 pm

It's actually 68%. Only 28% fall in the "word for word" category.

WayneMPLS June 5, 2014 at 3:31 pm

Thank you, I got my "green lines" mixed. ;)

James_M_Martin June 5, 2014 at 7:26 pm

I come home, drink a cold O'Doulls, sit down to the PC, chill out, read your post and see that statistic and…gee, you guys sure know how to bring a person down, huh?

Mykelbarber June 6, 2014 at 3:20 pm

PRoving 75% of Americans are imbeciles.

Comments on this entry are closed.

{ 1 trackback }

Previous post:

Next post:

<% unless FeatureFlag.disable_quantcast? %> <% end %>