Tennessee Principal To Gay Students: You’re Going To Hell

by David Badash on March 1, 2012

in Bigotry Watch,Civil Rights,Discrimination,News

Post image for Tennessee Principal To Gay Students: You’re Going To Hell

A Tennessee principal is accused of singling out students she thought were gay and specifically telling them they are going to hell. Dorothy Bond, the principal at Haywood High School in Brownsville, Tennessee, also reportedly told other students in the room that if they get pregnant their lives are over. Bond also is accused of telling male students getting their hair braided they must be gay as well.

ABC24 reports:

“At first she was talking about PDA and she turned around and she directly pointed to the gay people and said if you’re gay you’re going to hell and if you’re pregnant, you’re life is over,” Amber Whittiemore said.

Whittiemore wasn’t there to hear those words but her friend, who is gay, was. She called Amber in tears.

“When I heard about it, I was outraged,” said Haywood High School parent Tony Snipes.

Snipes says Principal Dorothy Bond has a habit of pushing the envelope.

“A couple of years ago when she was principal over at Sunny Hill one of my children had his hair in braids. At an assembly she told the young men if they’re sitting between the legs of a girl getting their hair braided for a few hours, that they must be gay,” Snipes said.

Snipes was ticked then and is even more so now with the newest claims about controversial statements from the Haywood High principal, which he says boil down to “If you’re pregnant or homosexual, you’re not welcome to Haywood County High School.”

“Why? That’s what I want to know. Why?” asked Brownsville resident Lawanda Parsons.

One parent told ABC that when he confronted her in the past about her anti-gay remarks to children, Bond responded, “I’m sorry if I offended you but my view is still the same you’re not welcome here” if you’re gay.

ABC also notes that many in the Tennessee community support principal Bond.

One has to wonder if Principal Bond would be in violation of Tennessee’s proposed “Don’t Say Gay” bill were she to still have a job when it passes.

The Haywood High School website includes in Principal Bond’s bio this line:

Hat-Tip: Towleroad

SandburOkie March 1, 2012 at 11:57 am

The last time I read the Bible, only God has the final word on who goes to Heaven or Hell. So I guess her condemnation is just more braggadocios bigotry.

MissSpider13 March 1, 2012 at 12:12 pm

I saw we all email her and let her know how we feel :)

jimboserious March 1, 2012 at 12:54 pm

I did just that, thank you.

prifunk January 25, 2014 at 11:31 am

i LOVE HER SHE IS TELLING TRUTH!!!! only devils hate truth.

Scott_Rose March 1, 2012 at 12:27 pm

One presumes that hell would be pleasant in comparison to Brownsville, Tennessee.

MissSpider13 March 1, 2012 at 12:45 pm

I hope the parents pressure her through whatever it takes, threats, the ACLU, whatever. This woman is a danger to have around kids.

Janegb1947 March 1, 2012 at 1:46 pm

The Haywood High School website includes in Principal Bond’s bio this line: “She is active in the community and in her church, and she and her husband, Joe, have a daughter.”…

…and she is still living? How did she manage to be pregnant and still be alive?

Forty years ago I battled a principal who singled out kids HE THOUGHT were dirty to check for head lice! Makes me sad to think that people who are teaching the next generation are so stupid!

AmericanFellows March 1, 2012 at 3:53 pm

no offense but these people live in Tennessee! of all places! i lived there myself for quite some time and can't believe the towns there are racially segregated worse than in the urban northern cities. they are bigots and nothing they say surprises me; even if the principal is black, blacks can be bigots too as she has proven here with her ugly comments to gay kids

Dawson12383 March 1, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Her email address is bondd1@k12tn.net

prifunk January 25, 2014 at 11:32 am

what you gonna do harras her. you better thank her for warning you.

gordoncstewart March 8, 2012 at 11:33 am

Take a look at my reflection on the case of Presbyterian lesbian pastor Jane Spahr at http://www.gordoncstewart.com. http://gordoncstewart.com/tag/same-gender-marriag…. There is no hell like the hell of fear and "righteous" hatred.

prifunk January 25, 2014 at 11:34 am

when folk warn you of destruction it is not hatred it is DIVINE LOVE. you hate GOD and HIS TRUTH!

gordoncstewart January 25, 2014 at 7:04 pm

I'm sorry, prifunk, but your do not know me. Divine love does not obliterate. I LOVE God and the God I love is the God and Father our Lord Jesus Christ who never said one word about this subject. Not one. Not one. But he DID say, "Judge not, that you be not judged." Think about it. Thanks for listening.

strongforu October 10, 2013 at 5:58 pm

Well now, that was not very nice of her.