Santorum: No One Has Ever Died Because They Didn’t Have Health Care

by David Badash on December 6, 2011

in Bigotry Watch,Healthcare,News,Politics

Post image for Santorum: No One Has Ever Died Because They Didn’t Have Health Care

Rick Santorum continued his assault on the poor and minorities yesterday evening. While speaking to a group of about 100 students at a small Iowa Christian college, Santorum claimed that no one in America has ever died because they didn’t have health care coverage. This, in fact, is a lie, as proven by numerous studies.

During an exchange, Santorum railed against same-sex marriage, telling Dordt College students gay sex is not equal to straight sex, apparently from a “moral” stand point, and then there was this:

Santorum also had a tense moment when a student asked him about health care and the Christian responsibility of caring for the poor.

The student said he didn’t “think God appreciates the fact that we have 50 to 100,000 uninsured Americans dying due to a lack of healthcare every year,” citing a 2009 study out of Harvard University.

“Dying?” Santorum answered before going back and forth about the validity of the study.

“The answer is not what can we do to prevent deaths because of a lack of health insurance. There’s — I reject that number completely, that people die in America because of lack of health insurance,” Santorum said to a crowd of 100.

“People die in America because people die in America. And people make poor decisions with respect to their health and their healthcare. And they don’t go to the emergency room or they don’t go to the doctor when they need to,” he said. “And it’s not the fault of the government for not providing some sort of universal benefit.

Here are a few facts, Mr. Santorum:

“Researchers from Harvard Medical School say the lack of coverage can be tied to about 45,000 deaths a year in the United States — a toll that is greater than the number of people who die each year from kidney disease.” (New York Times, 2009)

“A research team at Harvard Medical School estimates 2,266 U.S. military veterans under the age of 65 died last year because they lacked health insurance and thus had reduced access to care. That figure is more than 14 times the number of deaths (155) suffered byU.S. troops in Afghanistan in 2008, and more than twice as many as have died (911 as of Oct. 31) since the war began in 2001.” (PNHP, 2009)

Igor Volsky at Think Progress adds:

The former Pennsylvania senator has told people who can’t afford health care to stop whining about the high costs of medical treatments and medications and spend less on non essentials like cable and cell phone bills and even suggested that insurers should deny coverage to people with pre-existing conditions.

Santorum has decided he will do or say anything, now that the race is tightening. That’s neither very Christian nor very moral.

Pat December 6, 2011 at 12:21 pm

My mother died just two weeks ago because of lack of proper health coverage for the elderly. She was very sick, and refused to go to the ER over the weekend because of the exorbitant out-of-pocket cost that she just couldn't afford. By the time she got medical attention, the infection she was suffering from had spread throughout her entire body and there was nothing they could do. Santorum is a fucktard of the highest order.

laffinatcha January 2, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Your very comments prove his point. Your mother died cause she was cheap and tried to save a few bucks, not because she didn't have healthcare.

auntieang69 January 2, 2012 at 10:54 pm

laffinatcha: You are such a Total Idiot to even say something like that! I guess Pat's Elderly mother should have been out there getting a Job "which there aren't any, especially for the Elderly) so she could buy Insurance that is for starters, Ridiculously Expensive (for too many people). I think you should Reread your comment so you can see just How Dumb you sound!!

papadopus January 5, 2012 at 2:53 am

I think laffinatcha was being sarcastic.

Garrett Williams January 8, 2012 at 12:01 am

I sure hope so. It's hard to tell in text.

baghdadroz January 4, 2012 at 1:27 am

You not only sound stupid, you sound heartless. A visit to an emergency room isn't "a few bucks." It can be up to thousands of dollars. Many elderly live from paycheck to paycheck and can't even afford their meds. And I'll bet you go to church and vote Republican, right? You just insulted and disrespected a woman who lost her mother two weeks ago. Way to go, sicko. It's people like you that remind me of why I'm so glad I'm an atheist. Go kick a kitten for Jesus, freak.

normanstrasza January 5, 2012 at 4:14 am

Up to? A 2 hour stay in the ER cost me almost $2k – after insurance had paid all that they would. I've seen people without insurance get bills for over $100k for a single night. If you can't afford insurance, odds are you're not going to be able to pay off a debt like that in your lifetime.

Nynrai January 4, 2012 at 1:41 pm

Cheap and tried to save a few bucks? Try, literally have to choose between feeding herself and keeping herself warm, or risk going to the ER, spending hundreds of dollars (which is extremely crippling for some of us) , just to find out there was nothing they could do. Clearly you have never been in a similar situation to this or even knew someone in a this situation. I always try to avoid name calling when it comes to politics but damnit this woman lost her mom. I'm sure if her mother KNEW she was dying she wouldn't be "trying to save a few bucks" you narrow-minded fool.

echomega June 29, 2012 at 12:21 am

Why was your elderly mother not on Medicare?? She should've already been covered? I've worked in an ER before they have MANY MANY programs in place to assist with medical expenses even more so for the elderly. J

teedofftaxpayer December 6, 2011 at 1:21 pm

<div id="idc-comment-msg-div-233785794" class="idc-message"><a class="idc-close" title="Click to Close Message" href="javascript: IDC.ui.close_message(233785794)"><span>Close Message</span> Comment posted. <p class="idc-nomargin"><a style="text-decoration: none;" class="idc-share-facebook" href="http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fthenewcivilrightsmovement.com%2Fsantorum-no-one-has-ever-died-because-they-didnt-have-health-care%2Fpolitics%2F2011%2F12%2F06%2F31304#IDComment233785794&t=I%20just%20commented%20on%20Santorum%3A%20No%20One%20Has%20Ever%20Died%20Because%20They%20Didn%E2%80%99t%20Have%20Health%20Care%20%7C%20The%20New%20Civil%20Rights%20Movement&quot; target="_new"><span class="idc-share-inner"><span>Share on Facebook</span></span> or <a href="javascript: IDC.ui.close_message(233785794)">Close MessageThe Republican Party is out of touch with the "real" people. They can only accept and believe what they are told by Fox News. Santorum is probably the dumbest of all those running, although Michelle is very close behind him.

baghdadroz January 4, 2012 at 1:53 am

Perry's, Bachmann's and Santorum's cumulative IQ would be that of a kumquat.

chb7196 January 5, 2012 at 12:27 am

@baghdadroz:

kindly keep your negative comments about kumquats to yourself!

labman57 December 6, 2011 at 3:04 pm

This is what happens when you either lack the capacity to engage in analytical thinking (e.g., determining causal relationships) or simply choose to ignore reality, instead opting to rely solely on dogmatic rhetoric.

People with chronic. potentially life-threatening illnesses require proactive, preventative medical care to diagnose and treat these illnesses in their early stages. For example, I guess Santorum has never heard of cancer.

Robroberts2009 December 6, 2011 at 7:23 pm

For a man with one dead baby and another nearly dead baby, Mr. Santorum is pretty dismissive about the need for healthcare for all. I guess his senatorial pension must provide health insurance, so why worry about the needs of common Americans.

lepidopteryx December 6, 2011 at 7:41 pm

And people who can't afford health insurance can't afford to go to a doctor or the emergency room. Yes, I know the ER has to treat you even if you can't pay. They also bill you, and turn you over for collection if you don't pay. Depending on the amount of your bill, you may be sued. People who can't afford health insurance also can't afford lawyers.

WTF68574 December 7, 2011 at 5:07 pm
echomega June 29, 2012 at 12:34 am

"Washington think tank that backs a free-market approach to health care, said researchers overstated the death risk and did not track how long subjects were uninsured. And doesn't count people over 65 because they're covered by Medicare."

Passion8Leader December 7, 2011 at 6:14 pm

‎"No One Has Ever Died Because They Didn’t Have Health Care?" WTF is he talking about????!! WHAT???!!!!!!

TurboKitty December 8, 2011 at 12:21 am

Didn't Santorum star in "Idiocracy"? =\

GEEKgirl4u December 8, 2011 at 12:55 am

What an idiot. I have NO Education and I know better. Just proves the point that being 'book smart' is different from 'smart'.

Roger_Lamb December 8, 2011 at 3:14 am

"No One Has Ever Died Because They Didn't Have Health Care".

What a relief! Thanks for the gospel, Rick.

JoeMCorbett January 1, 2012 at 10:21 pm

Another GOPeebagger out of touch with reality.

Scott6113 January 4, 2012 at 5:35 am

This marks a year ago today that a friend died at 55. Since he only got occasional contract work, he had no health insurance in PA. An undiagnosed condition nearly killed him. He had family in MA. so they got him in to RomneyCare. The hospital stabilized him, the program got him a cataract operation, other care, but the condition got him in the end, since the damage was already done by the time he got in the the emergency room. It took a year.
In a country with single payer like Canada, this would never have happened. Now, he's dust. His mother is alive at 85 thanks to medicare, his grandmother lived to 100. He fell through the coverage cracks.
Republicans want more of this.

louisemowder January 5, 2012 at 2:19 pm

They recognize that world population is projected to reach 9 billion by 2050. Humans could be figuring out how to change the world for the better, so that that population can live on the world – with enough food, water, energy, housing, and freedom.

However, the Republican party is owned by plutocrats. They've bought the party so that it can carry out the programs that will make sure the plutocrats stay on top. Therefore, they are dealing with the projected population problem by passing laws designed to cull the masses. No health care? No job security? No housing? Good – all you middle-class and poor people will die sooner. Not dealing with climate change, world starvation, endless wars, easily treatable – but ignored – diseases like malaria and chaga? That should be good for a few billion or so.

You can understand the entire GOP platform once you understand that the party only pushes the politics that help its *owners.* Once they can convince all Americans to fight and blame each other, instead of working together and helping each other out, then they have guaranteed that they will stay rich and on top of the heap for the next two hundred years or so.

deke4 January 4, 2012 at 6:19 am

2 quick instances. My father who lived to be 94 became rather frail the last 18 months of his life. The last 8 months he spent in a nursing home supposedly dedicated to the comfort of the aged and ill. My mother and my 3 sisters were at that nursing home all day every day. He did not present a burden to the staff as my family attended to his every daytime need with the exception of medical care. I and my 2 brothers divided up the night time shifts from midnight on. On a cold February evening I entered my father's room and he was laying shivering under a thin sheet. I might add my father was not a charity case. His estate paid 4000 dollars a month to be housed there plus medical care. The hallway leading to his closed door room was warm. I asked the staff why was he laying in a closed door room with only a thin sheet as warmth. They said they would get him a warmed up blanket. I am sorry I did not report this to the proper authorities. The thing that irked me the most was my father seldom used the summons bell so he was not a bothersome patient.

deke4 January 4, 2012 at 7:19 am

Number 2 2. Same Nursing home. My father-in-law spent the last few months of his life in the same nursing home. 6 or 8 months after he passed away my wife received a medical bill for 2200.00. She and her brother and sister were about to pay it when I noticed the date of the procedure being charged. It was dated 3 days after my father-in-law had been buried. I called the chief Executive of that nursing home and inquired where the bill was for exhuming his body? He responded "what are you talking about"? I said, "I have a medical bill from your institution for a little over 2200.00 that was performed 3 days after he was buried, I assume there is a cost for exhuming a body". He said let me check, within a minute he came back and said that was an error and to just ignore it. Again I am guilty of not doing my due diligence by not bringing charges against that particular nursing home.

deke4 January 4, 2012 at 11:29 am

This is deke4. Now I wonder on whose side Santorum would be on with my previous 2 instances? I know one thing, Santorum felt no compunction about charging the Pennsylvania Education Department for homeschooling his children while he lived in his newly bought elaborate Vitginia mansion. Pennsylvania Education law says unequivocally that homeschooling funds could only be spent on people who resided in a residence and were educated in that PENNSYLVANIA SCHOOL DISTRICT. Santorum received Pennsylvania funds for homeschooling his children while they all lived in Virginia. Which brings up another enigma. I always believed homeschooling was done by parents and or relatives. I wonder who got the checks for the Pennsylvania homeschooling being done in Virginia? It should be a matter of public record. I just wonder if the homeschooling checks went to Mrs. Santorum. I tend to be leary of all those who try to portray themselves as sanctimonious. I would like to see some reporter check on those home3schooling monies. If it went to the Santorums, he should not be proclaiming the sad use of medical funds for the needy. He felt no qualms about accepting welfare Pennsylvania funds for his chidren while not giving a hoot for others.

baghdadroz January 4, 2012 at 10:27 am

Got a question about home schooling. Do parents ever have to take standardized tests like teachers to check if they have the credentials to teach at home or are kids ever tested periodically to see if they're learning anything besides that Jesus rode on dinosaurs? It's scary that we live in a country where the majority of those that are home schooled and privately schooled go mostly into professions like banking, law, investing, business, marketing, clergy, etc, and don't tend to go in any large appreciable numbers into professions like science, teaching, nursing, research, engineering, medical and the arts. This country was the one that churned out the greatest numbers of Nobel Prize winners in science, medicine, research and several other learning categories and we owe that to our public schools. But, now, due to the anti-intellectual bias of the right, who have been defunding our education for decades, we're devolving into a nation where almost 25% don't know who we fought to win our independence from. Most common guesses: France, Canada and Mexico.

deke4 January 4, 2012 at 11:59 am

Back in 1966, I believe, I had a problem with a doctor's daughter in my classroom. The doctor and I met and discussed the problem and between us devised a solution to his daughter's problem. After our meeting he invited me out to have a cocktail with him and a fellow doctor he was meeting. I agreed. The discussion revolved around government running the medical profession. It was obvious bopth opposed Medicare. When I was asked what I thought about Medicare, I, tongue in cheek, agreed it was wrong, stating I oppose government interference just as I opposed government interference in education, (again let me add tongue in cheek). I think teachers should be paid so much a head for each student in their classrooms and if they did not think that the teacher was doing a good job they could send their offspring to another teacher who would also charge so much a head. After all, said I, isn't that the basis of the free enterprise system? Needless to say they thought socialized education was better for the students but socialized medicine was a detriment to the patient.

deke4 January 4, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Why some even belive Lexington and Concord are in New Hampshire.

westhillsgirl July 17, 2012 at 10:25 am

Home schooling curriculum is set up in such a way that it is easy for children to learn. If you look at statistics re: home schooled children they tend to be far above average on test scores.
Home schooling is chosen by many people, not just Christians. Before public schools were formed the majority of education was done in the home. Many of those home schooled persons were responsible for this countries development. (This was the case in most nations)
Google it.

FranktheMc January 4, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Santorum's cluelessness would be funny if he weren't running for president.

As it happens, a number of people around the country have died of toothaches. They had no money for dental work. (During the Middle Ages, toothache was a major cause of death.)

kfallon4 January 5, 2012 at 2:41 am

Ok I am a christian and I am disheartened by so many other christians living as complete hypocrites. We are taught to provide for the needy yet we seem to be against anything in government that does just that. It is the christian way to give a little up so anybody can go to the doctors and receive the treatment they deserve. It seems the only christian value most christians want to happen through government is banning homosexuals from marriage which comes across as hate to the rest of the world. As a christian I am saying my fellow christian conservatives need to stop being so selfish and greedy and provide for the less fortunate like we were taught.

westhillsgirl July 17, 2012 at 10:37 am

So you are a Christian and yet you are judging "most christians". Now that is hypocrisy. The Salvation Army, World Vision, Samaritans Purse, food kitchens all over the world are run by Christians. There are Christians that are constantly in poorer countries, as well as the USA, building homes, giving medical care, feeding and clothing the poor. Wells are dug and water filters are produced so that people have clean water. (I can name a hundreds of other undertakings that Christians do to help the poor but I think you get the idea) If you did away with all the Christians that do good in this world and got rid of all the money they give to help others we would have millions more starving to death and dieing from diseases. My church is very small, yet many go to Haiti, the Dominican Republic (to name a few) 3 or 4 times a years. This is normally done on their vacation time. So tell me about all the non christian organizations out there helping people. How often do give up their vacations and money to help others? I would love to hear.

catcj22af January 5, 2012 at 4:45 am

This kind of callousness is how Santorum came to be known as the frothy mixture of lube and fecal matter that is sometimes a product of anal sex. Go on Google it.

kerrymccrohan January 5, 2012 at 11:02 am

I hope this guy suffers some serious health issues although he'll be treated with the best care possible and won't understand what the masses are griping about so I guess what's the point. I don't really care if rich people are insensitive to the needs of those that are struggling, but when its the very people that are vying to be elected to lead us and look out for our best interest, I have a very very serious problem with that especially when the facts are looking them in the face and they ignorantly decide to ignore them. I hope this guys gets AIDS while having a stroke from kidney failure. Piece of garbage.

LinziKP January 5, 2012 at 11:03 am

Really SanTARDum? Why don't you talk to my dad about this…… oh wait……… he died 12 years ago, b/c he could not get the healthcare that he needed. My dad was forced to be in excruciating pain every minute of every day b/c of a cancerous eye that no one would remove, b/c the procedure was considered experimental. My dad fought for 22 months in pain that I hope my own worst enemy never has to experience. Santardum is a liar, and a joke, and deserves the presidential nomination about as much as my half retarded weenie dog.

hondo941 January 5, 2012 at 11:52 am

For Kfall – Most of these so-called Christians are the stereotypical Christian. They are Christian between the time they go to church and the time they leave church. The rest of the time, they are so cynical and self-centered that their world is within one foot of their body. They claim they speak "for the people" of this country. I just wonder which ONE that is.

westhillsgirl July 17, 2012 at 10:44 am

I know what your talking about. I remember our president, Obama, saying he went to church for 20 years but never paid attention to what was being said. Some people go to church to make contacts with those that will help their careers. Jesus said "You will know God's children by the fruit they bear. A good tree does not bear bad fruit".

ifinoxonifi January 5, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Well logically speaking he is correct , you die from ailments not lack of healthcare. On the other hand, it's an incredibly callous and ridiculous thing to say.

SpeakingAgent January 5, 2012 at 10:05 pm

I guess I won't be booking him much…. Or will I ????

thetheologyofjoe January 6, 2012 at 11:14 am

No – he just mis-spoke. What he meant to say was that Nobody has Ever Died. At all, ever.

dlo123 January 7, 2012 at 10:37 pm

I guess he never saw this story on 60 minutes where a cancer patient died because the hospital wouldn't give him chemotheraphy since he didn't have health insurance. Also many others in Nevada without health insurance couldn't get chemotherapy, and without help are waiting to die. What an ignorant man.

Roger_Lamb December 8, 2011 at 3:13 am

"…I suspect that Rick has sufficient coverage to have his head removed from where it now resides."

Maybe. But he wouldn't. Rick likes the smelly dark.

Whitemellon January 5, 2012 at 10:04 am

I just googled his name. His head should slide out fairly easy.