by David Badash on May 6, 2013

in Bigotry Watch,News,Religion

Post image for Pat Robertson: A Gay Person Can Change Just Like ‘A Murderer, A Rapist, A Thief’

Pat Robertson on his “700 Club” today said a gay person can change their sexual orientation just as “a murderer can change, a rapist can change, a thief can change.” The televangelist and multi-millionaire predicted that soon in the U.S. it will be a “hate crime” to even suggest such an idea.

Robertson apparently has forgotten about the First Amendment.

“Robertson was reacting to a case in Ecuador, where a politician was found to have violated his country’s electoral code’s prohibition on discrimination by making anti-gay remarks,” Brian Tashman at Right Wing Watch reports:

Last week, Robertson said that there’s nothing “bigoted” about calling homosexuality an abomination, adding that ESPN should “man-up” and defend Chris Broussard, the reporter who said NBA center Jason Collins is not a Christian and “walking in open rebellion to God and to Jesus Christ.”

Two weeks ago, Robertson said that Planned Parenthood founder Margaret Sanger “set the stage for Adolph Hitler,” and accuses the “evil” organization of “genocide.”

Also last month, warned Americans that we are “asking for the wrath of Almighty God,” “headed for disaster” and “should do everything we can to restrain our leaders” from pursuing a peace plan with the Middle East.

Nic2Day May 6, 2013 at 2:34 pm

Not surprised to see him playing the game of "Being Gay is Just Like…", so popular among anti-gay talking heads. Um, no, Pat. Being gay is not like being a murderer. Chris Broussard, being gay is not the same as being an adulterer. Tim Brando, being gay is not equivalent to you making a sex tape.

This little parlor game is designed to remind us that gay = deviant. I don't expect better from Pat's network. That ESPN and CBS have allowed their sports reporters to play it and spew hate under the guise of "respectful discussion" is disgusting. http://assortedrelevance.blogspot.com/2013/05/why

Kimberly Knight May 6, 2013 at 3:05 pm

Seems like a good time to share a couple of my posts addressing this none-sense that is borderline blasphemy –

Murderers, terrorists and me – http://www.patheos.com/blogs/kimberlyknight/2012/

A lesbian changed through Jesus – http://www.patheos.com/blogs/kimberlyknight/2013/

cipher May 6, 2013 at 4:55 pm

Every time this miserable old bastard opens his mouth, he commits a hate crime against reason.

And it isn't just age (although he's certainly gotten worse); he was always this way. Francis Schaeffer, the evangelical theologian who served as a mentor to many who later became the leaders of the Christian Right, thought he was crazy forty years ago.

sdfrenchie May 6, 2013 at 10:03 pm

This old fart needs to retire. And he needs to shut his fucking mouth. His giant 700 Club chapel in Orange County California is evidence of what he and his group think of the rest of us. He may be bitching about our community right now, but he has no more respect for the homeless and needy than he does for us.

Robertson, one of the many evangelical hypocrites, must be hiding behind some major sins of his own to feel the need to harp on everyone else's sins (or what he and his consider sins) as fervently as he does. They're all in need of rooms with rubber walls. Biggest cowards walking on two legs, these bastards. They think gay people are such a threat to them and there is no reason on this earth for them to be so afraid except they just don't have anyone left to legally abuse and oppress. And, of course, it will continue because our government isn't doing a goddam thing to stop them and they won't until they start attacking us physically, if then. They never do shit until people are screaming for help, and then it takes them months to vote on that help before they decide to deny it. Bunch of dirty pricks.

Richardsmum May 8, 2013 at 9:43 am

I am a teacher (72 and still working!). During my 40+ years of teaching adolescents (mainly, but all ages), I could not help but notice the "gay child". In some classes, there was a child who behaved quite differently from his peers. He played with girls, was often 'pretty', did not like rough games and in my opinion was having an identity issue. Fortunately, I worked mainly in a very liberal setting (in the South Pacific, where gay males are generally accepted by the community). It did not take much effort to work out that this person was gay. He was accepted by his classmates and it was not a big issue.
Likewise, when I entered a female dorm in a female training college, in the early sixties I encountered one or two , generally athletic, (butch looking) females, who linked up with similar kinds. We all knew what was going on. Not much was spoken about them in those days, but their behaviour was generally accepted by their heterosexual peers.
I think, way back then, as teachers we aware of these differences and accepted them. Unfortunately, the rest of the world needs to catch up.

Richardsmum May 8, 2013 at 10:07 am

I am a teacher (72 and still working!). During my 40+ years of teaching adolescents: http://kiwiscots.blogspot.com/2011/08/faafafines-
Fa'afafines were the main group of males who identified with girls. but there were also, non Pacific Island individuals who displayed obvious feminine traits and were accepted by the dominant group.

tryreality May 8, 2013 at 1:08 pm

Following Pats reasoning, couldn't heterosexuals change – wake up gay?

Comments1980 May 8, 2013 at 4:01 pm

Dear Pat Robertson, I take it from experience that you know what it's like to take it up the a** at one point in your life than change you mind the very next day? I'm glad you found it so easy to do, in fact maybe you should write a self-help book titled "How I managed to stop sucking c*ck so easily".

TxBoy85 June 11, 2013 at 2:45 am

Awe, look at Mr, Robertson as he thinks he's people. He's somewhat adorable in his attempt to correct homosexuality…much like that special child who always attempted to stuff a cube in the star shape hole during class. In all seriousness, I realize that this should be offensive to me, but this argument has played itself out of fashion. Correct me if I'm wrong but the man doesn't know what it means to be gay – since he's not (right?) – and I missed the worldwide announcement that he had become a prophet of god who knew all – I'm sure CNN would of covered it…had it happened. I think I'd strike a bargain: I'd gladly turn 'hetero' just as soon as Mr. Robertson agreed to turn 'homo'. After all, such a change is a matter of mental fortitude, right?