Pastor Who Suggested Genocide-Like Concentration Camps For Gays Loses Website

by David Badash on May 22, 2012

in Bigotry Watch,Civil Rights,News,Religion

Post image for Pastor Who Suggested Genocide-Like Concentration Camps For Gays Loses Website

North Carolina Pastor Charles L. Worley of Providence Road Baptist Church, who on Sunday, May 13, suggested airlifting all the “queers and homosexuals” and dropping them off into electric fenced pens until they all die off, last night lost his website.

A New Civil Rights Movement reader, Rob Roberts, posted in our comments section on yesterday’s article, “Genocide? Pastor Says Kill All ‘Queers And Homosexuals’ By Airlifting Into Electric Pen“:

A minor victory — I called the company that produces the bigoted pastors website. I asked them if they support genocide against gays and then told them I was ashamed of them.

As of last hour, the church website has dissapeared, its been pulled from the web completely.

In a follow-up email, Roberts tells me he contacted StoneWall Consulting partners, the company who created the site for Pastor Worley, and humbly insists he can’t take full credit for getting the site taken down, as others may have called as well. (Roberts also notices the irony of the “Stonewall” name.)

Regardless, it’s actions like this, that send a strong message to bigots and haters that it’s not just the LGBT community, but average, everyday, decent Americans who refuse to allow this country to be ruled by anti-gay hate.

Additionally, several readers tell me they followed my request and have contacted the IRS to ask them to investigate Pastor Worley’s apparent violation of IRS regulations on charitable organizations not being able to advocate for or against a particular candidate, which Pastor Worley certainly seems to have done in his “sermon.”

I’m very proud of all our great New Civil Rights Movement readers. Thank you for caring, and for taking action!

Indeed, the website, which we visited several times yesterday, indeed was taken down last night.

Pastor Worley has been the subject of news reports from The Huffington Post to the New Civil Rights Movement, to Pam’s House Blend, to MSNBC’s Last Word, and Anderson Cooper’s 360. We’ll bring you those reports shortly.

No word on any apology from the Pastor — who knows if he’ll offer one — but at some point you have to ask, why should we accept any possible forthcoming apology from him? Would you?

UPDATE:
We’ve been told third hand that the company that designed and maintains the church’s website took it down after the comments section was hacked.

noredorgreen May 22, 2012 at 9:48 am

I grabbed his email address before the site went down: pastor@prbcnc.com
Feel free to send him love letters.

iggie75 May 22, 2012 at 11:38 am

JUST FYI, everyone, that email is also permanently disabled, according to the message I got from my "love letter".

Mykelbarber May 22, 2012 at 9:58 am

I just do not have time for haters any longer. I am not wasting my life on them when I can be enjoying it.

stopthehatestopthehurt May 22, 2012 at 10:14 am

I understand that.. I personally have been far too wrapped up in this stuff lately. I had taken a break to finish school, but now, I am back at it again, and it's got me all wound up.

I am emailing this preacher though.

GaelicWench May 23, 2012 at 3:07 am

Goodonya! Besides, that's what good old Karma is for. Trust me, this guy will get his time with Karma eventually. it'll catch up with this hate-filled monster.

Kennym2 May 22, 2012 at 10:09 am

I don't think he'll apologize for what he said, because that's what he truly believes. Even if he does decide to apologize for his statement, he wouldn't mean it and it would only be to save is butt. I would not accept his apology for the simple fact I know he wouldn't truly mean it. This man has committed a hate crime and needs investigated and punished by law accordingly.

CastleRockBear May 22, 2012 at 10:54 am

I sent him a letter yesterday after reading a post on http://johnshore.com (Awesome site, BTW! Thanks John!!) I Understand his e-mail is not allowing letters anymore although I did find Pastor(Really?) Worley's personal email address,preacherworley@charter.net and the mailing address of the Church itself Providence Road Baptist Church 3283 Providence Mill Rd, Maiden, NC 28650

marill77 May 22, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Thank you for the email and mailing information. I sent him an email just now.

Song1964 May 22, 2012 at 11:08 am

I grew up in an Independent Fundamental Baptist Church. This man will not apologize because he feels that he is speaking the word of God. These are his personal convictions. As far as contacting the IRS…whooo hooo what a great idea. The Pastor of the church I grew up in used to hand out lists of candidates that the congregation should vote into office. It is unfortunate that this sermon is not a rare occurrence. I have heard sermons like this and worse….I am a Christian, I am a lesbian and there is no conflict of values. It is horrible that Christians would choose hate and judgement instead of love and understanding.

rltballer May 22, 2012 at 11:17 am

I too grew up in a Baptist church, southern Baptist. I can say with complete confidence this man is not a real Christian. I am not a believer per say of a Christian Vie but am not naive to say there cannot be a higher power. I know this man is no Christian tho. Pretend only.

willie231 May 24, 2012 at 10:59 pm

I am gay and Christian as well. This man and others like him ARE NOT Christians.
They hide behind the title Christian but they neither know Jesus or have Him in their hearts.
These are the Pharisees of today.

Robroberts2009 May 22, 2012 at 11:14 am

I sent the "Youth Pastor" as well as the bigoted pastor himself an email yesterday: (youth@prbcnc.com)

Dear Youth Director —

I was wondering, do you have any gay youth in your church?

And, if you do, is it your policy to surround them with an electric fence and starve them to death as your pastor advocates?   Or do you try and pray the gay away?

Please answer as I would like to know if your church policy of genocide applies to everyone including your children, or just the adults?

Rob

littleolmee May 22, 2012 at 11:29 am

I got his email last night too and took 3hrs writing this man a very long letter about his hateful words and how his words were more fit for a KKK rally instead of a church. My daughter read over my shoulder the letter I wrote and asked if I thought he'd read it? I don't know if he will or not but as a human being and a citizen of the United States of America; the land of the free and all are equal, I couldn't sit and do nothing.

Especially those that are followers of Jesus need to stand up to supposedly 'Men of God' and remind them that Jesus taught us to love thy neighbor not hate thy neighbor. To judge and condemn another is setting yourself up to be judged and condemned the same way by God and that by judging, condemning, and hating you have sinned equally to what you think homosexuals are sinning. If you don't realize you are just as guilty of sin then your a hypocrite.

Personally I don't see homosexuality as sinful. My God is full of love and acceptance, not hate and condemnation so I don't know what God Pastor Worley is praying to but, it's not the one I do. In the words of Bill Maher, 'If you ignore everything single thing Jesus commanded you do you are not a Christian, your just auditing. You are not Christ's followers, your just fans.' The message of Jesus is a call to life, a call to love, and is call to be all that you can be; the best human you can be.

No matter what your religious belief I hope we can all learn to be good humans, to stand up and let folks like Pastor Worley know that we won't tolerate his hate. He is free to believe whatever he wants, I'll even defend his right to believe and live how he see's fit for himself but, it goes both ways. I will also defend everyone else rights as well and homosexuals are no less human than you or I.

Gay Rights are not about religion; it's about Civil Rights. It's not about forcing Those who feel marriage is a union in the eyes of God and is only between a man and a woman to change their minds; it's very hard to change someone's bigotry, you can only educate them on the truth and allow the future generations to realize the truth and lead by example. It's about allowing those people who are already living in family units; loving and supporting one another, being able to enter into a legal union that gives them rights as a family unit they have already formed, it's about protection under the law not religion. When I got marriage, I was marriage in a church and it was the ceremony that married me in the eyes of God according to my religious beliefs. The piece of paper I signed was a legal document to allow me and my spouse legal rights in the eyes of the government and that is what Gay Rights are about, it's the legality.

lakota1960 May 22, 2012 at 11:41 am

The website is back on now, unfortunately.

Kennym2 May 22, 2012 at 11:51 am

What's the link?

littleolmee May 22, 2012 at 12:21 pm

lakota1960, what site are you using the several I've tried are not up they say server not found.

CMP May 22, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Writing to the IRS is a good idea especially since one of our churches, All Saints in Pasadena, was investigated by them when a sermon there dared to suggest Jesus might be against war.

LGBT people, please know there are many, many churches where you are welcomed and valued just as you are. Please visit believeoutloud.com and find one near you.

doctore0 May 22, 2012 at 12:10 pm

That pastor is sick, the sickness is religion; He cant get help as religion is not considered a mental illness.. as it should;
Respecting religion is disrespecting humanity

kenzbeard May 22, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Charles L. Worley – Providence Road Baptist Church http://www.godsmessageforyou.org/pastor.htm

Bandwidth Limit Exceededjavascript: postComment(0);
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.

Kennym2 May 22, 2012 at 12:54 pm

So it's not that his site was taken down. It's that a massive amount of people decided to visit the site due to his statement. I know their page on FB no longer exists. There's a group there, but there was a page, I know because I visited it and since last light it has disappeared. I don't know if it was closed or if they deleted it or they just made it private. I know there was a lot of trolling on it, every comment was about the statement he made.

cautleen May 24, 2012 at 11:02 am

The website for the church was prbcnc.com. It is still down today. I called mediatemple and was told that harassment of any group or "entity" (?) was a violation of their terms of service. You can also contact mediatemple.net and leave comments under the "report abuse" category.

tim_conard May 24, 2012 at 5:01 pm

I would send him an e-mail or a letter, if I had any hope that he would read it.

Sadly, nothing that we do is going to make one bit of difference to people like him and his "church". They will view any attempt to change their behavior, no matter how courteous or well-meant, as an attack by "satanic" forces.

The man is 71. He will learn soon enough what a failure he is as either a human being or a man of God…

StanleyJames June 3, 2012 at 2:02 am

If only the maggots would eat live bodies. but they dont. I'm now reminded of pirhanas.

willie231 May 24, 2012 at 11:10 pm

Any church or religious organization or person's representing any religious body should lose tax exempt status for comments such as this. Hit them where it hurts them the most……..the pocketbook. And churches wonder why people are falling away and leaving the church. Could it be from all the hate that they spew forth? Where is the love of Christ that they preach about? Why is it not reflected in their lives and speech?

StanleyJames June 3, 2012 at 1:56 am

Worley is the same breed of animal that justified slavery as per the bible, and used Lynchings of blacks to keep them in line re segregation.

time that the oxymoron "religious freedom" be outlawed.

How many realize that Worleys; type of mentality made the USA the 2nd to last nation in the west to end slavery.

And the only one to need a war to do it

And we lost 600,000 dead in the civil war – vs 400,000 killed in WWII

Its time to bring back the Nuremburg tribunal – for the right wing nut case xtian pastors, And now also the madmen of the catholic church who eg often have their priests walk out of funeral ceremonies when the discover the deceased's son or daughter is gay.

Just one example of its absolute criminality and soul murder of gay people. The same type of demonization (actions or words) that gives us a repeating 9-11 every year of several thoussand gay kids driven to suicide

Which is how they protect life (or is it hatred?)

StanleyJames June 3, 2012 at 2:01 am

Oh yes – heres the Popes support for Jewish people……………….He Unexcommunciates a holocaust deneir

I guess 6 million dead didnt make an impession on IL papa, who rants about protecting lfie. He grew up in germany during the worst time in the history of mankind

willie231 May 24, 2012 at 10:55 pm

Good For You I love this!