Open Forum: What Do You Think About Jason “Molotov” Mitchell’s Anti-Gay Videos?

by David Badash on February 21, 2010

in Civil Rights,Discrimination,Politics,Religion

I had never heard of Molotov Mitchell until a friend sent me this video. I watched it. Well, some of it. I had to stop half-way through.

But now I want to know what you think. I see my friends over at Truth Wins Out (who do a great job – hope you read them too!) have “found” Molotov Mitchell too. Evan Hurst has a post up today on him too.

Here, “Molotov Mitchell” touts the Bible over both Rick Warren and Rachel Maddow, takes on Chris Matthews, claims Ugandans “curse the [former] Sodomite King,” then has the audacity to say “Liberals only talk multi-culturalism when it suits their agenda.”

He then claims Uganda’s “Kill the gays” bill “is not a witch hunt,” and that gays are “free to leave the country.” Yeah, because Uganda’s populace is so wealthy they can afford to up and relocate any time they choose. Not to mention, leave their families.

And then, just for good measure, he (wait for it…) compares homosexuality to bestiality. Surprise!

Finally, he then invokes Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. as a proponent of anti-homosexuality. Um, no he wasn’t.

Nice, Mitch.

Then there’s this disgusting diatribe against Harvey Milk. Nice, Mitch.

You can see the rest of Molotov Mitchell’s liberal and gay-bashing videos here. Watch them, if you can stand it, then come back and share your thoughts here.

Oh. I’ll be spending the evening writing about all the goings-on in the odd intersection this week of “conservatism” and gays.

NelsonG February 21, 2010 at 4:38 pm

Word is that when it comes to Molotov Mitchell, he prefers banana's over Kumquats.

I'm just saying.

David Badash February 21, 2010 at 5:03 pm

While I can't blame him (!), I can blame anyone who works against their own community. If that's true, that's even more disgusting than this video.

sherry February 21, 2010 at 4:38 pm

Appalling, disgusting and beyond inhumane. This guy has no clue about real history; he distorts and twists the 'facts' to suit his lunatic fringe agenda.

David Badash February 21, 2010 at 5:04 pm

So many extremists do! It's scary that they get away with it. Free speech is one thing. Lying, another. Thanks, Sherry!

Jordon February 21, 2010 at 5:13 pm

He does make a valid point about the sovereignty of the nation. But that doesn't mean that sanctions cannot and should not be imposed by other sovereign nations.

He glosses over Uganda's history at the mention of Mwanga II of Buganda, because most of those deaths had anti-colonialist reasons. (The Google-Fu is strong within me.)

And Sherry, sadly his agenda is not so lunatic and fringe. We as a nation have oft tried to make homosexuals second class citizens. While not everyone wants to kill all the gays, there are lots of people who are trying very hard to violate the 14th amendment with Prop 8 like bills. Once you remove equal protection under the law, it becomes much harder to resist legislation.

~A well educated populace is the best defense against tyranny.

David Badash February 21, 2010 at 5:20 pm

Jordan, I agree. "A well educated populace is the best defense against tyranny." Sadly, despite all the tools available to Americans today, I think the nation as a whole has become more ill-educated — educated not with facts but with falsities.

While I agree about sovereignty, I think every country has a moral obligation to take on tyranny and oppression. No government has the right to oppress its citizens. And I wish our military were used more for situations like Darfur, than Afghanistan.

Thanks for sharinjg your thoughts!

Tom February 21, 2010 at 8:07 pm

I read that Mwanga had several wives, and that he was age 16-19 during his rule. The religious right tells the story of an adult king raping the men and boys — not true. (I need to find that link)
Plus, rape of males has long been a part of ancient and modern war, to humiliate and dominate the enemy … … the abuse and executions by Mwanga were because of his anti-colonialism and anti-christianity, not because he was a "sodomite king". … and that is another Bible story twisted and retold by the Christianists to fight the "e-ville homoseckshuls".

And, he forgets that history and the present is filled with heterosexual rulers who sexually abused women and girls. … but, that's the "natural order" according to the Bible … females are property.

His whole Uganda video and his "My gay friends" (riiiiight) video are disgusting propaganda that make me wanna toss.

Nic February 21, 2010 at 4:54 pm

It's interesting to me that Mitchell uses failings by our founding fathers to excuse failings of the Ugandan government. Owning slaves was constitutionally protected at one point but we would never use that fact to justify slave ownership by others today. Biblical law instructs that a farmer who grows more than one crop in their field, a woman who shows her hair, and anyone who eats shellfish should be killed, generally by stoning. I doubt this man would make the argument that those biblical laws should be followed today.

Further, it has been shown that the Ugandan government actually got the idea for this law from American Evangelists and that this political agenda has been funded and supported by an American group of Christians. They didn't just come up with it by their own democratic selves. Not to mention that the level of democracy in that country is debatable.

Last, did he really use MLK Jr. to support targeting a marginalized group of people for death??

David Badash February 21, 2010 at 5:06 pm

"Owning slaves was constitutionally protected at one point but we would never use that fact to justify slave ownership by others today."
Exactly. Thanks!

At the end of the video he quotes King about the long curve toward justice taking a long time, and twists it against gays, as if King said it against gays. Ridiculous.

Buffy February 23, 2010 at 12:48 pm

He's despicable. I have more respect for members of the KKK than I do him. At least members of the KKK, as vile as they are, don't go around claiming they have "lots of black friends" while they advocate their extermination.

{ 1 trackback }