by David Badash on June 20, 2014

in Bigotry Watch,Marriage,News,Religion

Post image for Mike Huckabee: Martin Luther King Would Have Opposed Gay Marriage Like He Opposed Hitler

Mike Huckabee told attendees at NOM’s March for Marriage that Martin Luther King, Jr. would have opposed same-sex marriage and equal rights for LGBT people just as he opposed Hitler’s Germany and the Holocaust. The Fox News host and ordained Baptist minister spoke at length, railing against the U.S. Supreme Court while attempting to conflate gay marriage with abortion.

Huckabee also suggested to the crowd of about 2000 people that somehow extending equal marriage rights to same-sex couples diminished the civil rights of different-sex couples, and claimed that all rights and laws come from God.

The former governor of Arkansas and Republican presidential candidate pulled out his iPhone and read from Martin Luther King, Jr.’s famous “Letter from Birmingham Jail,” wrongly claiming it was written in 1954. Dr. King penned it in 1963 while incarcerated.

Huckabee read, “One may well ask, ‘How can you advocate breaking some laws and obeying others?’ The answer is found in the fact that there are two types of laws: there are just laws, and there are unjust laws. I would agree with St. Augustine that ‘An unjust law is no law at all.’”

He continued,

“We can never forget that everything Hitler did in Germany was ‘legal’ and everything the Hungarian freedom fighters did in Hungary was ‘illegal.’ It was ‘illegal’ to aid and comfort a Jew in Hitler’s Germany. But I am sure that if I had lived in Germany during that time, I would have aided and comforted my Jewish brothers even though it was illegal.”

“I wish I had penned those words,” Huckabee exclaimed. “But they were penned by someone who understood freedom, and understood that there was a time to stand up against law when it has become unjust. Those are the words that were penned in 1954 by Martin Luther King Jr. in his letter from the Birmingham Jail.”

Gov. Huckabee did not explain how laws allowing same-sex couples to enter into civil matrimony are “unjust,” but at the end of his lengthy speech, he did seem to suggest people break laws allowing same-sex marriage – to act biblically.

Of course, Dr. King most likely would have supported same-sex marriages and the fight for equal civil rights for LGBT people. His wife, Coretta Scott King, repeatedly said so. She did so in 1996 at the Atlanta Gay and Lesbian Pride Festival, and in 1994, 1998, and 2000.

Watch:

Hat tip and transcript via David Edwards at The Raw Story

{ 7 comments… read them below or add one }

ebloode June 20, 2014 at 10:46 am

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal."

What part of this screams the need for discrimination?

BJLincoln June 20, 2014 at 11:12 am

It's sad how they not only twist the words of the Bible but they twist the words of men who would have never discriminated against us. Both Jesus and Dr. King would be pissed!

gayiswhatibe June 20, 2014 at 12:20 pm

<div class="idc-message" id="idc-comment-msg-div-845130325"><a class="idc-close" title="Click to Close Message" href="javascript: IDC.ui.close_message(845130325)"><span>Close Message</span> Comment posted. <p class="idc-nomargin"><a class="idc-share-facebook" target="_new" href="http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fthenewcivilrightsmovement.com%2Fmike-huckabee-martin-luther-king-would-have-opposed-gay-marriage-like-he-opposed-hitler%2Fmarriage%2F2014%2F06%2F20%2F89553#IDComment845130325&t=I%20just%20commented%20on%20Mike%20Huckabee%3A%20Martin%20Luther%20King%20Would%20Have%20Opposed%20Gay%20Marriage%20Like%20He%20Opposed%20Hitler%20%7C%20The%20New%20Civil%20Rights%20Movement&quot; style="text-decoration: none;"><span class="idc-share-inner"><span>Share on Facebook</span></span> or <a href="javascript: IDC.ui.close_message(845130325)">Close MessageHow do you know what a deceased man would think. I think I'm human and as my right of being born in the USA. the land of the free and home of the brave I should be able to marry whoever I want if y'all are putting rules on my personal life then what was the reason all the troops died for in ww1 ww2 Vietnam war and every other war faught for our freedom. Mike Huckabee if you can say this about MLK publicly then you should have no problem going to a fallen troop mother and tell them her son or daughter died at such a young age under false pretense because as people were still not free to love and marry who we choose. This is for everyone who agree with this man we are who we are and we ain't changing or going any where just accept us as we accept you and let us live our lives like everyone else can we are no different

weshlovrcm June 20, 2014 at 6:02 pm

From the person who was inciting lawlessness from the stage at the March for Banning Same-Sex Marriage! I guess he knows MLK better than his wife! LOL! It's amazing what radical anti-gay, anti-family activists will do and say for $$$!

ImcalledDale June 20, 2014 at 11:47 pm

I believe that Martin Luther King Jr. would have spit in your face Huckabilly.

SeanLiberty13 June 21, 2014 at 10:03 am

1st, Hitler was anti-gay and championed marriage between one and one woman in Mien Kampf Chapter 10.

2nd, MLK Jr. said this : "When any society says I cannot marry a certain person, that society has cut off a segment of my freedom."

3rd, MLK Jr.'s wife, Coretta Scott King (RIP) supports LGBT rights including marriage for gay couples. She is the ONLY one who speaks for husband heart:

"I still hear people say that I should not be talking about the rights of lesbian and gay people and I should stick to the issue of racial justice… But I hasten to remind them that Martin Luther King, Jr. said 'Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere'… I appeal to everyone who believes in Martin Luther King Jr.'s dream to make room at the table for lesbian and gay people." ~March32,1998

"Like Martin, I don't believe you can stand for freedom for one group of people an deny it to others… I have worked too long and hard against segregated public accommodation to end up segregating my moral concern. Justice is indivisible." ~ June 23,1994

"Gay and lesbian people have families, and their families should have legal protection, whether by marriage or civil union. A constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriages is a form of gay bashing and it would do nothing at all to protect traditional marriage."~ March 23, 2004

"We have a lot more work to do in our common struggle against bigotry and discrimination. "I say 'common struggle' because I believe very strongly that all forms of bigotry and discrimination are equally wrong and should be opposed by right-thinking American everywhere. Freedom from discrimination based on sexual orientation is surely a fundamental human right in any great democracy, as much as freedom for racial, religious, gender, or ethnic discrimination." ~ November 9. 2000

"Homophobie is like racism and anti-Semitishm and other forms of bigotry in that it seeks to dehumanize a large group of people, to deny their humanity, their dignity and personhood. This sets the stage for further repression and violence that spread to easily to victimize the next minority groups." April 1, 1998

4th, MLK Jr.'s son said his father would support LGBT rights: http://www.mambaonline.com/article.asp?artid=8481

LubbockGay June 21, 2014 at 7:29 pm

And of course Huckabee truly believes it's 'a just law' that discriminates against f*****ts, just as his daddy believed keeping 'n*****rs' outta the white restroom was 'just'. (sorry for the word, but that's the way it went back in the '50s.) Every tyrant has to have his whipping boy, and GLBTQs are the new targets for bigoted folks.