by David Badash on April 2, 2013

in Marriage,News,Politics,Religion

Post image for Michelle Shocked To Piers Morgan: Audience Was Not Ready For Their Request To Hear Reality

Alternative folk singer Michelle Shocked sat down with CNN’s Piers Morgan last night to explain the anti-gay comments she made at a San Francisco club last month. While admitting she made a mistake, Shocked also blamed the audience for nor being ready to hear “reality,” although it’s still unclear what that mean.

Breaking: Listen To Audio Of Michelle Shocked’s Anti-Gay Rant

“I admit I made a mistake, Piers,” Shocked told the CNN host. “If I had the chance to do it again, I don’t think I would have taken the audience up on their choice. I had presented an entire performance, and I framed it as ‘truth,’ and then I came out back for an encore, and they requested ‘reality.’ What has consequently taken place ever since then is my manifestation of how little I think of reality.”

CNN adds:

As part of a rambling, and confusing interview, that at times struggled to remain coherent, the 51-year-old Dallas-native further attempted to clarify the strange occurrences from the March 17th evening in San Francisco:

“I know that it’s a stalking trade for a lot of the media to present things like that’s how it really is. But I don’t think the audience was ready for the consequences of that, and I surely have not been happy with it.”

During her March 17 concert, Shocked told the audience:

“When they stop Prop 8 and force priests at gunpoint to marry gays, it will be the downfall of civilization and Jesus will come back.”

With a broad smile, Shocked said. “You are going to leave here and tell people ‘Michelle Shocked said God hates faggots.’”

Within 48 hours, all eleven venues on Shocked’s U.S. tour were canceled.

Related:

Listen Live: Michelle Shocked’s First Interview Since Her ‘God Hates Faggots’ Rant

Michelle Shocked Blows Off Then Pops In And Out Of Scheduled Interview That Goes Nuts

MeSoHornish April 2, 2013 at 8:49 am

Her agent, if she still has one, will just have to book Ms. Shocked on the "God talks to me" circuit. She might want to change her stage name to "Michelle Sacred" to change her whole brand.

Dwere April 2, 2013 at 10:15 am

I wish the media would stop referring to her as "alternative". She's not alternative, she's delusional. There's a significant difference. We're not talking about a wannabe philosopher whose message is being ignored. We're talking about a derivative, washed up, uninspired performer whose relevance has long since gone the way of her sanity.

Nothing more than the musical equivalent of a wet-brained, homeless drunk screaming at a telephone pole over some imagined insult… "bad telephone pole, leave me alone!"

barbonine April 2, 2013 at 10:24 am

No wonder I never heard of her! Really, I hadn't. I would remember a last name like Shocked, and probably would have made jokes about it.

barbonine April 2, 2013 at 10:22 am

Stupid cow been on stage long enough. She's now no longer able to discern her own opinion from truth.

Nice footbullet, ya dumb bitch. Go die in a fire.

LocalYokal62 April 5, 2013 at 9:11 am

<div id="idc-comment-msg-div-612189856" class="idc-message"><a class="idc-close" title="Click to Close Message" href="javascript: IDC.ui.close_message(612189856)"><span>Close Message</span> Comment posted. <p class="idc-nomargin"><a class="idc-share-facebook" target="_new" href="http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fthenewcivilrightsmovement.com%2Fmichelle-shocked-to-piers-morgan-audience-was-not-ready-for-their-request-to-hear-reality%2Fpolitics%2F2013%2F04%2F02%2F64060%23IDComment609778245#IDComment612189856&t=I%20just%20commented%20on%20Michelle%20Shocked%20To%20Piers%20Morgan%3A%20Audience%20Was%20Not%20Ready%20For%20Their%20Request%20To%20Hear%20Reality%20%7C%20The%20New%20Civil%20Rights%20Movement&quot; style="text-decoration: none;"><span class="idc-share-inner"><span>Share on Facebook</span></span> or <a href="javascript: IDC.ui.close_message(612189856)">Close MessageEvery post you make is FULL of self hate, why is that? I can only guess, but I'd say your christian upbringing is in conflict with your wicked lifestyle. If this be the case REPENT before it's too late, and return to your parents as a repentant from a wayward wicked child..

barbonine April 5, 2013 at 12:10 pm

Now I have a Christian upbringing as well as being gay?

With a vivid imagination like yours, you should learn to spell and write novels. What's it like, having such a strong disconnection with reality?

Is it like being on LSD? I don't want what you're having!

poppadaddy April 2, 2013 at 12:34 pm

I was at the show, and as a gay married man, I was stunned by her words and I walked out. I've always had respect for people that stand by their words – if you are going to be a bigot, be honest about it – but what I wish Michelle would stop doing is implying that we asked for this reality. She started the show with two words: TRUTH vs REALITY and asked us to pick one. We picked TRUTH via some Twitter process (strange in itself) and she played us Short Sharp Shocked. For the second set, we didn't pick REALITY – that was all that remained as TRUTH was off the table. It seems that her REALITY demanded she spread the word that gay marriage is going to lead to the return of Christ or some similar biblical judgment. If that is what you believe, Michelle, then don't change your tune when the other REALITY, the backlash against religious bigotry, comes into play. At your one-woman protest at the next (cancelled) venue, you taped your mouth and wrote "silenced by fear". Amazingly, I see this as the reverse. The audience was NOT silenced by fear, was NOT silenced by your literal interpretation of the Bible, was NOT shamed into cowering in the corner. Welcome to the new REALITY.

And I hate this entire debacle. Your music is genius, but it will be a long time before I can ride that bull again.

LocalYokal62 April 5, 2013 at 9:15 am

So in the beginning God created Adam and Steve, and they became one? You may have a worthless piece of paper, but God doesn't recognize anything outside His law…

barbonine April 5, 2013 at 12:13 pm

In the beginning, there were single celled organisms that organized (hence the term) into more sophisticated animals. Eventually some apes dropped out of the trees, began walking upright, which freed their hands to do mischief, and the forebrain developed in most of us.

I can't believe you actually think that old cliche 'Adam and Steve' is still witty.

I LOVE STUPID BIBLE THUMPERS WHO CAIN'T SPELL WORF A HOOT AND CAIN'T THINK EVEN GOODER! Lookin at YOU, "Yokal."

poppadaddy April 5, 2013 at 11:52 pm

Awesome – give me any my brethren our worthless pieces of paper then! My God loves me for who I am, as he well should – he created me. I don't really care what your God recognizes.

Mahnahvu April 2, 2013 at 2:09 pm

<div class="idc-message" id="idc-comment-msg-div-609914441"><a class="idc-close" title="Click to Close Message" href="javascript: IDC.ui.close_message(609914441)"><span>Close Message</span> Comment posted. <p class="idc-nomargin"><a class="idc-share-facebook" onclick="IDC.ui.fb_wrapper(609914441)" href="javascript: void(null)" style="text-decoration: none;"><span class="idc-share-inner"><span>Share on Facebook</span></span> or <a href="javascript: IDC.ui.close_message(609914441)">Close MessageIt's funny that we're all still trying to figure out what in the world she was attempting to communicate. Honestly, I think she has the ability to make music, but has difficulty communicating in words. Some people really do have difficulty articulating what they want to say. Seriously, who waltzes into the heart of San Francisco, of all places, and starts spouting out that god hates fags?

In my opinion, Michelle Shocked simply wanted to be real and communicate that she has become a born again Christian. Nothing wrong with that. But the words she used and the way she expressed her fears about Prop 8 and LGBT civil rights really sent a hostile message.

barbonine April 5, 2013 at 12:15 pm

Let's hope she likes her new (and smaller) audiences of hateful bible thumpers!