‘I Fucking Hate Faggots’: 50 New Yorkers Stood By As Gay Man Beaten On Subway

by David Badash on March 7, 2014

in Hate Crimes,News

Post image for ‘I Fucking Hate Faggots’: 50 New Yorkers Stood By As Gay Man Beaten On Subway

On Sunday, a couple was coming home after celebrating their tenth anniversary when a man approached them and started to beat J.P. Masterson in the face. “I fucking hate faggots” the assailant told Masterson and his partner, Peter Moore as they waited on the platform for a subway in New York City’s Greenwich Village. The couple says there were about 50 people at the busy subway station, but not one bothered to help.

The police are investigating the incident as a bias crime. The suspect, according to the New York Times, had first asked the couple if they were gay.

Masterson, whose nose ands eye socket were broken and eye badly bruised, is 39 and reportedly lives in Clifton, New Jersey, but says he grew and came out in the Village.

“Police describe the suspect as a white male, 5 feet 8 inches tall, weighs around 170 pounds and is in his late 20s. He may also have a thick Polish accent,” NJ.com reports:

Anyone with information about the attack is asked to call Crime Stoppers at (800) 577-TIPS, visit the Crime Stoppers website or text tips to 274637 (CRIMES) then enter TIP577.

Police have released this sketch of the suspect:

suspect

Watch this video from CBS New York of the couple talking about the attack:

The New York City Anti-Violence Project announced they “will be doing outreach next Wednesday, March 12th in the West Village and in and around the West 4th Street subway station, where we will talk with community members to increase awareness about this incident and provide people with safety information.” You can contact RJ Mendoza, AVP’s Hate Violence Community Organizer, at rmendoza@avp.org.

Last year, New York City experienced yet another jump in anti-gay hate crimes, including the shooting murder of 32-year old Mark Carson.

Hat tip: Towleroad

cipher March 7, 2014 at 11:54 am

I don't know what's happened to New York. There was a time, not long ago, in which people would have intervened.

grannieannie29 March 7, 2014 at 4:24 pm

cipher, not when Kitty Genovese was murdered while over 30 people watched from their windows and NOBODY called the police. I may have spelled her name wrong, but I remember when it happened.

timbearcub March 8, 2014 at 12:15 am

That didn't actually happen…not the murder, but 30/many people ignoring her, that's a myth.

They all saw or heard little bits, not the whole thing, I think maybe one person saw what happened, and they did act – most thought it was a lover's tiff. Some did think someone else will do something, but certainly nearly all of them didn't know she was being murdered. But the paper made out that everyone didn't care… number is wrong too, about a dozen people heard or saw something. Problem of big cities, having stood up to people and found the 'victim' turn on me because it wasn't what I think it was – easy to make out no-one cares but people do odd things, get drunk, have fights, make noise. Not always black/white.

androphiles March 8, 2014 at 6:45 pm

Harlan Ellison's famous story "The Whimper of Whipped Dogs" was inspired by the Kitty Genovese murder, and was partly responsible for the widespread belief in bystanders watching raptly without doing anything. Ellison made it into a modern-day ritual of Satan worship, the demon seen hovering over the apartment complex while the murderer does his work.

melewis1961 March 7, 2014 at 12:10 pm

The man that screams the loudest about hating gay people, hates just a little bit about himself. In other words, me thinks he doth protest too much.

BJLincoln March 7, 2014 at 5:02 pm

You would think that out of the 50 people, there would be a large man who could have tackled the guy or a women could have tripped him as he ran away. Shame on all of them for standing there and doing nothing!

overand March 7, 2014 at 5:05 pm

I'm not sure what I would have done if I was there. I'm a thin, weak person myself – if I saw a guy successfully beating the shit out of someone, I'd be afraid for my own sake if I intervened.

I'm not saying it's RIGHT, but when you see nobody helping, the thought might just be self-defense. You don't think "We could all take this guy."

=/

kalanac June 21, 2014 at 8:14 am

Psychology experiments have shown other people are likely to protest if someone else does. Quite possibly, the people watching were all thinking the same thing, but no one wanted to speak out because no one else did.

You might not be able to act physically, but socially you can have a big impact. A bully is not likely to continue once a whole crowd is against them.

gldnegle March 7, 2014 at 7:07 pm

Frankly, I think it should be considered a crime to stand by and just watch something like this happen. If there are no cops around, and you are the only ones who can do something about it – why WOULDN'T you feel compelled to help?? I can't believe that in a crowd of 50 people, there wasn't at least one person with a pair of balls big enough to intervene. The only time I would hesitate is if I saw a knife or gun involved, but then only long enough to rally people around me to get their heads out of their asses. At the very least, I'd be screaming and yelling for the cops at the top of my lungs, hopefully scaring the POS off, or grab his attention long enough to allow the victim(s) to escape. Anything proactive to try to stop it is worth something. How sad.