by David Badash on November 29, 2013

in Bigotry Watch,News

Post image for Guess Who’s Furious Over Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade’s ‘Kinky Boots’ Performance?

Conservatives just couldn’t enjoy our national day of thanks without going berserk over some event that doesn’t fit their tightly-wound vision of what America is “supposed” to be. At yesterday’s 87th annual Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade, the cast of the Tony Award-winning Broadway musical “Kinky Boots” performed, ruining the entire day for the nation’s right wing nuts.

Despite being created by Cyndi Lauper and Harvey Fierstein, despite winning six Tony Awards, conservatives screamed about “family values!” and “the children!,” whose lives, apparently now will be devastated.

WorldNetDaily, that bastion of birtherism that thinks Obama is gay, wrote that “Kinky Boots” “left a lot of viewers scratching their heads, shaking their heads, and wondering what happened to the family friendly tradition.”

One commenter there complained, “Just when I thought NYC and NBC couldn’t get any lower. Next year they will have LGBT Poll dancers. This is despicable and disgusting beyond belief. NBC, you should be ashamed. But when you have people like Ed Shultz and Andrea Mitchell you have no shame.”

Another, “Our country is morally bankrupt! To allow such a mockery of everything sacred is despicable! If Macy’s allowed this, there should not be one person show up for the parade next year. Those are sick people who need help… not to be paraded in front of children and the whole world. It’s an embarrassment for America of which I am very ashamed.”

And, “They’re going to push until their “lifestyle” is made illegal. Think it won’t happen. When you make up only 3% at best the population, you don’t go dancing through the minefield. Remember action and reaction. Parents are not amused and you can thank your media friends for helping you “mentally disturbed” to P em off.”

Fortunately, Harvey Fierstein had a few words to share:

And a few others had some sane remarks:

Here’s the “Kinky Boots” performance from the Macy’s parade:

Take a look at the conservative meltdown:

lepidopteryx November 29, 2013 at 9:40 am

What's a "poll dancer?" Someone who asks your opinion while doing the mambo?

bgryphon November 29, 2013 at 9:56 am

I figured it was the typical politician today- moving their opinions and policies in time with the latest poll results.

bandanajack November 29, 2013 at 10:15 am

probably the same class as a roll player

russellsvocation November 29, 2013 at 12:29 pm

A pol(l)e dancer is someone daddy sneaks off to slip dollar bills into her g-string while telling his harpy shrew wife he is off to work. Go Dad. :-)

paganforge January 30, 2014 at 11:20 pm

Nope – gotta be the Samba – much sexier!

RRuinsky November 29, 2013 at 9:52 am

Conservatives have way too much time on their hands. I 'd say they think too much but in reality they don't think at all.

bgryphon November 29, 2013 at 9:55 am

I really think very few kids will ask their parents what a drag queen is- most kids are very familiar with "playing dress up". And while that is hardly the most accurate description it is enough for most pre-teens. Shame that it is not enough for so many adults.

bandanajack November 29, 2013 at 10:13 am

maybe because i am 70, but i can see why someone who isn't a screaming crazy might find kinky boots a bit off-putting in the parade, but that has been the case with most broadway shows having been inserted. i don't think the two are a natural fit. i loved the movie, and what i have seen of the show suggests it is great entertainment, and i think it might even serve to open some minds, BUT as i said, i am not sure it, or any broadway show, belongs in the parade. singling it out is a different matter. did middle america get this pissed about THE BOOK OF MORMON, certainly at least as transgressive.

milomurray November 29, 2013 at 11:00 am

Dear parents-who-are-freaking-out. Stop. Breathe. Don't worry. I promise your children aren't scarred. Kids are so much more open than you give them credit for. I was a teacher for three years (I know, terrifying that one of the LGBT menaces was allowed around the vulnerable youth) and do you know what I found about any musicals? If it has bright colours, shiny costumes and songs your children won't start asking hard moral questions. They'll laugh and maybe try to sing along. The problem is that you're trying too hard to project your bizarre, misinformed fears onto them. Kids aren't pundits of sexual politics, they're KIDS. Let them be children instead of a twisted rallying cry.

More than that, this is a spectacular exercise in 'missing the point'. Kinky Boots, while it may have some (fabulous) cross-dressing action, is largely about love and learning that change is sometimes a-okay! I'd say those are excellent messages for ANYONE to hear.

BJLincoln November 29, 2013 at 12:06 pm

I wonder how many of these up tight moralists watched Uncle Miltie? There have been many drag and gay performers that people loved and did not warp the minds of children, as far as we know. Kids enjoyed the music and costumes. They find it funny that adults dress up and play.
We are having a Big Mama movie party so I have to go make popcorn.

SimonFieno November 29, 2013 at 12:54 pm

Good point on Uncle Miltie and you can throw Jonathan Winters and Robin Williams as another two mainstream comics who've done drag.

sdfrenchie November 29, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Good. I'm sure even more people will show up at next year's parade. It'll be so much more fun without the sour-pussed conservative, whining simpletons. I don't think they'll understand the meaning of diversity even on their death beds.

greyeyedgrrl November 29, 2013 at 12:25 pm

I'm so sorry that all these conservatives have to explain to their 6 year olds what a transvestite is, because OBVIOUSLY one could tell that all those dancers were men in skirts. </sarcasm off>. Too bad we have lost the old vaules of yesteryear, movies with real actors like Jack Lemmon & Tony Curtis…who both wore dresses in "Some Like it Hot."

Heyim1also November 29, 2013 at 1:26 pm

I watched it a few times and I watched the audience..not a single person got up and left. Most seemed to enjoy it. I thought it was great. It's theater ! Do you have to explain to your children why the Beauty and the Beast fell in love ? How did you explain that bestiality to your children ? Lighten up…it's Art ! it's theater !!

DeeGonz201 November 29, 2013 at 2:22 pm

These people who are freaking out… 1) Don't pay attention to the fact that many drag performers are parents themselves and/or many people watching the parade have LGBTQA folks in their families. So not all families are "shocked and appalled" by this… And 2) They're WAAAAAY too worried about the "corruption" of their kids. They really think kids are these stupid, mindless, puss-wads that are going to be confused and/or offended by everything that THEY don't approve of. I get some people just aren't into the exhibitionist/wild type of performances, but they need to stop using their kids remaining "pure" as an excuse for their ignorant bullsh!t.

Annnnnnnnnd 3) For how many years have the radio city rockettes been performing these little numbers in the skimpiest of outfits – doing leg kicks high enough to where you can practically see their sparkly panties & half of their but cheeks? Nobody says sh!t about THAT…

There was nothing overly sexual about the performance or the sing itself. Who ever is offended really just doesn't want to see LGBT presence in any form of entertainment and is just prejudice. Who cares if they're not going to watch anymore? GOOD RIDDANCE!

findingnemoblog November 29, 2013 at 6:05 pm

I can follow the LGBT, But what's the Q and A part? I'm asking because I legit don't know and would like to know in case someone ever asks me and I can be like "STAND BACK! I know things!"

myweightinwords November 30, 2013 at 12:19 am

Q is Queer and the A I'm going to assume means Ally. I've only seen the A tacked on the end very recently.

findingnemoblog November 30, 2013 at 1:39 am

Being in the middle of rural Pennsylvania doesn't give me much space to learn openly about the LGBT(QA) community or lifestyle– even Philadelphia seems to be a bit behind… Why does there need to be a Q if there's already an L and a G? What exactly does Queer mean that it needs its own identifier?

bgryphon November 30, 2013 at 5:02 pm

"Queer" is a term more often used by younger members of our community to represent, as you suggest, the wide diversity of non-heteronormative lives. It is also sometimes chosen specifically as a rejection of the mainstreaming of "gay" (and to a somewhat lesser degree "lesbian") to refer to the whitewashed wasp-ish image that is less threatening and somwhat assimilationist . Sadly many others of my generation (I'm 55) can see it only as a negative term- and of course there was a time when it was used as often as the "f" word.

miwafwakes November 30, 2013 at 3:12 am

Q is questioning and A is asexual. Cis straight people aren't included.

timbearcub November 30, 2013 at 8:54 am

Q is Queer or Questioning (it's traditionally Queer, but Questioning has kind of been added in recent times) and A is Asexual not Ally. There's sometimes an I for Intersex. TBH I tend to use LGBTQ or LGBTQ* as I think the queer spectrum includes all the others, but others will disagree…so hence the * for everyone else!

bgryphon November 30, 2013 at 6:59 am

As you can see from some other replies, there is no "official" designation of those two letters. At one point it seemed as if the designation was getting just a little too long so partially in jest I use the acronym LGBTITQQ2S in my blog. Although the second T is a deprecated term it is still valid – also I left it in so that I have TIT in the middle:
Lesbian
Gay
Bisexual
Transexual
Intersexed
Transvestite
Queer
Questioning
2 Spirits (from First Nations traditions)

richteas November 29, 2013 at 2:48 pm

Here We Go Again….The Right is Commenting on an Item They Know Nothing About! The Play/ The Movie, is about the Celebartion of Capitalism!!! Yes, there Happens to be Drag Queens in it, and Yes, it has a lot to do with High Heels, but Watch The Movie! Go See The Play! It's the True Story of how a Shoe Factory in the U.K. saved itself by finding it's niche market! (Heels for Men!)
So before you go making some Ignorant Comment, like many of these, or Sara Palin's saying 'Jesus Celebrated Easter!'….LEARN WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT…Before You DO The Talking!

RexTiii November 29, 2013 at 6:44 pm

Oh the hypocrisy of the 'outraged' minority! Not even worthy of being considered as a minority, this slice of well trained outragers! Whenever the 'Kids' get thrown out as the 'reason' for outrage, you can bet the house on the fact of there being no substance or relevant facts involved. Always the 'Kids' … fortunately, it just doesn't work so well anymore, on any subject matter.

matt November 29, 2013 at 9:12 pm

don't conservatives know how to talk to their own children?

hanfrina November 30, 2013 at 12:25 am

… 'Tis-MUCH-ado about NOTHING Neo-CONS!?! After-ALL, "You people" brought us thee Iraq War, which killed several hundred thousand children, women-&-men for NO-f'ing-REASON!?! Happy Holidays!!!

timbearcub November 30, 2013 at 8:57 am

As I posted over at FB:

I guess they don't do pantomime in America? Any kid who has seen UK TV (Lily Savage, Julian Clary or the like) or a pantomime knows what drag is! And they love it…

That musical hall/drag tradition is so ingrained it's not a surprise here. You have talk show hosts in drag, and have done for many years (Edna Everage for instance) and although we do have our 'Moral Majority' -who are actually a minority – they don't seem to get upset about drag but other things.

getoverit2013 December 1, 2013 at 3:47 pm

Must you people push your homosexual agenda on our children? Thought you guys wanted to fight stereotypes? Choosing a life of depression and disease was your CHOICE, stop trying to recruit our kids! Guess misery truly does love company.