Southern Poverty Law Center Adds Seven More Anti-Gay Organizations To List Of Active Hate Groups
A so-called “think tank” that until very recently was funded by and listed as a project of the National Organization For Marriage (NOM) has just been labeled an active anti-gay hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center. The Ruth Institute, whose motto is “making marriage cool,” is headed by Dr. Jennifer Roback Morse (image) and is based in California. On November 1, 2013, NOM announced the Ruth Institute would no longer be associated with the virulently anti-gay organization. Today, the Southern Poverty Law Center added the Ruth Institute to its growing list of active anti-gay hate groups.
“The National Organization for Marriage Education Fund is happy to announce that the Ruth Institute will be running as an independent organization effective November 1, 2013,” a terse posting on NOM’s website read.
No reason was given at the time of the “divorce,” although NOM’s financial struggles came to light just weeks later, including that it was operating at a deficit of over $1 million.
GLAAD, which hosts a lengthy list of her anti-gay commentary, notes that Dr. Roback Morse:
– Says that “the parallels” between Nazi Germany and contemporary America “are really quite chilling” and what happened in Nazi Germany “is happening to us.” (0:18-0:35)
– Claims that if marriage equality becomes legal, “Fathers will be marginalized. They will be considered non-essential.”
– Despite polls that prove otherwise, says Catholics don’t really “accept the category of gayness.” (0:38–0:45)
– Says being gay is a “completely shameless activity.” (0:20–0:27)
– Has called marriage equality for same-sex couples “a hostile takeover of the whole civil society” (9:35–9:44)
While no formal announcement has yet been made, the Southern Poverty Law Center’s Mark Potok, a Senior Fellow and Editor of Intelligence Report, and Heidi Beirich, head of the SPLC’s Intelligence Project, noted the addition of the Ruth Institute, and the Pacific Justice Institute — for its anti-transgender attacks – today via a conference call with reporters.
While not mentioned on the call, other anti-gay organizations have also been added to the SPLC’s list of active anti-gay hate groups. Among them, the infamous Liberty Counsel, which has been increasing its public profile lately, and the Catholic Family and Human Rights Institute (C-FAM).
A total of seven more anti-gay organizations have been added to the Southern Poverty Law Center’s list of active anti-gay hate groups.
Image of Dr. Roback Morse: Screenshot of video via Bluestem Prairie
We invite you to sign up for our new mailing list, and subscribe to The New Civil Rights Movement via email or RSS.