Christian Group Gives New Meaning To Words “I Really Love My New Car”

by David Badash on December 2, 2011

in Bigotry Watch,Civil Rights,Legal Issues,Marriage,News

Post image for Christian Group Gives New Meaning To Words “I Really Love My New Car”

The so-called Christian and “pro-family” group American Family Association (AFA) yesterday claimed that if gay marriage becomes legal, a rash of men — and, presumably, women — will want to marry not only people of the same sex, but cars, dogs, and buildings. The concerns voiced by Buster Wilson, the General Manager of the American Family Association’s American Family Radio, are ludicrous. As anyone with a eighth-grade education knows, marriage is an institution and a legal contract, and can only be entered by two people, who consent. Period. Even smartphones, or iPhones with Siri, aren’t that smart.

The AFA is an SPLC-certified anti-gay hate group, which sponsored, to the tune, reportedly, of one million dollars, Rick Perry’s prayer rally, “The Response.”

Brian Tashman at Right Wing Watch writes that Wilson “yesterday on AFA Today told co-host Ed Vitagliano how marriage equality for gay and lesbian couples will ultimately lead to not just the legalization of polygamy but also legal approval of marriages to buildings, cars and dogs!”

Wilson: So that’s why we are among many others who are fighting so vigorously for the traditional marriage, and it is because it is not just that we are—we’re not homophobic and we just hate homosexuals—but that whole mindset is being pushed upon America and the end result of America giving into it is that the door is flung open. And it’s more than just homosexual marriage or homosexual relationships that will come out of it, polygamy comes out of it, what’s the term?

Vitagliano: Polyamory.

Wilson: Polyamory, that’s gonna come out of it. We have talked about people who brought to the forefront their desire to marry—one guy had a desire to marry a building, another one a car, another one his dog. It’s just unbelievable, if you throw off the restraints and you say there’s no Christianity that’s going to guide how we look at this issue as a nation, then anything goes.

Gotta love that “we’re not homophobic and we just hate homosexuals,” bit… Yeah, right. Anyone who has heard AFA’s Bryan Fischer say that gays are Nazis, or that Congressman Barney Frank caused millions to contract HIV/AIDS, or call for the criminalization of homosexuality, has to ask Wilson if he’s absolutely crazy.

Tashman goes on to report on a Canadian judge who “ruled against [a] polygamous couple and maintained that unlike polygamous relationships, ‘committed same-sex relationships celebrate all of the values we seek to preserve and advance in monogamous marriage’.”

Tashman notes the judge’s words:

The alarmist view expressed by some that the recognition of the legitimacy of same-sex marriage will lead to the legitimization of polygamy misses the whole point. As Maura Strassberg, Professor of Law at Duke University Law School, points out in “Distinctions of Form or Substance: Monogamy, Polygamy and Same-Sex Marriage” (1997) North Carolina L.R. 1501 at 1594, the doctrinal underpinnings of monogamous same-sex marriage are indistinguishable from those of heterosexual marriage as revised to conform to modern norms of gender equality. This counters, as well, the argument advanced by many, that “in this day and age” when we have adopted expansive views of acceptable marriage units and common law living arrangements, the acceptance of polygamy, or at least the abandonment of its criminal prohibition, is the next logical step.

Robroberts2009 December 2, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Oh no! If people start to marry their cars, imagine how this will destroy heterosexual relationships! I'm not sure how, but it will! god told me so! So therefore, we must stop gays from getting married, because you know how gays getting married causes people to look at their cars in a whole new way! And remember, in nature nobody marries a car, so this obviously goes against Natural Law.

OK I tried to follow the twisted bigot logic of AFA but now I have a headache, and feel slightly insane. What sad little lives these people live, devoted to lying and hatred. If they didn't threaten my civil rights, I would feel sorry for them.

Dr. Buster Wilson December 2, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Hey, great article exposing not MY ignorance but certainly the essence of how uninformed you are. There are several reality TV shows that have documented "forbidden loves" and how those who have them long for the privilege of marital rights!
I literally watched one myself, heard with my own ears, either NatGeo's Taboo series or some other show by a different name (sorry to not be certain. But my failing to remember the show's name doesn't negate that it aired!). I saw two stories. One about a lady who loved a building. They showed her rubbing up against it and kissing it. The other, more sickening, was a bout a man who was in love with his VW bug. After he washed and waxed it, he told of how he loved to "make love to it". THEY BOTH SPOKE OF THEIR LONGING TO BE ABLE TO MARRY THEIR LOVES. The argument I made, and I'm SURE you are so biggoted that you will not allow me to make here, is WHY STOP AT HOMOSEXUAL LOVE AND MARRIAGE? If you should be allowed to marry whomever (or whatever) you love, then, where does one draw the line? NO WHERE is the answer to that. The fact there are enough people out there that want to marry their loves (BUILDINGS, CARS), proves that my statements on my show were correct!
Dr. Buster Wilson

tiffany_M December 2, 2011 at 4:41 pm

Animals and objects can't consent to anything.

That's the most basic and easily understandable reason for your argument being a rather stupid one.

Dr. Buster Wilson December 2, 2011 at 10:24 pm

Not my argument friend. It's theirs. That's my point. Stop calling me names and saying my argument is stupid. I am simply reporting what others out there are saying (and they are saying it in a big way, too, I might add) full segment TV shows on the subject. Not shows that we've produced. It's not OUR argument. But there are people who are fighting for THEIR CIVIL RIGHT to marry in a legally binding contract whom or what they want! And they are using THE GAY AGENDA'S logic to make their claims.
And people enter into contracts with inanimate objects all the time. Ever signed a contract with a corporation?
Stop attacking me for simply reporting what others are using YOUR logic to plead for!

Robroberts2009 December 3, 2011 at 3:07 am

"Dr" Wilson (and just what are you a doctor of? I thought doctors were educated). So somebody wants to marry a car … In what universe would this be allowed? And you use this arguement to deny civil rights to gay people? Do you realize how laughable and pathetic this makes you look? Where does your twisted logic end? At what length will you go to justify your outrageous bigotry? I have a news flash for you: people are not buying your mounds of bullshit anymore. Have you ever met a gay person? Did you notice that they were a real human being and not some charicature that can be denied civil rights? Anyways, please keep spewing your hate, as it is entertaining, laughable and pathetic — and only serves to increase the pace at which the majority of Americans are embracing marraige equality.

lepidopteryx December 3, 2011 at 9:33 pm

People who wish to marry inanimate objects are obviously delusional. Delusional people are often capable of using logic in a twisted way to rationalize their delusions. It does not make the original logical premise that they twisted wrong, only their application of it.
Using "I love my car" or even "I boink my car" as a basis for wanting to marry it does not change the fact that the car cannot consent to be married. Since marriage requires all parties named as spouses in the marriage on the license to be consenting adults, that eliminates your car, your toaster, your guppy, your ferret, and your ant farm as potential spouses. It does NOT invalidate the idea that consenting adults of the same sex should be able to legally marry one another.

usorthem3 December 3, 2011 at 7:32 am

Marriage licenses are issued by the state, not the church. No religion is necessary for a marriage to be legal or recognized. The Dominionists have been trying to make the USA a Christian only theocracy to force their beliefs on everyone. Now churches even need to advertise at the movies & raffle cars, big screen TV's, etc. to get people to attend and believe. Talk about indoctrination & bribery to commit to the cult. TV, radio & MEGA church ministries must have forgotten the scripture- Matthew 6 5 And when you pray, you shall not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
As an atheist, I really distrust Christians­. I would not ever walk into a Christian home for fear that they would kill me just as the Bible says they must do.
2 Chronicles 15 13 That whosoever would not seek the LORD God of Israel should be put to death, whether small or great, whether man or woman.