by David Badash on April 2, 2014

in Bigotry Watch,News,Politics,Religion

Post image for Breaking: Mississippi Gov. To Sign Anti-Gay Discriminatory ‘Religious Freedom’ Bill

Gov. Phil Bryant has announced he will sign Mississippi‘s highly-controversial and nationally condemned bill that is being called a license to discriminate against LGBT people, women, and minorities. The Religious Freedom Restoration Act was rammed through the state senate last night by Republicans after it had been returned to a committee several weeks ago. Many had believed the bill was dead.

The bill, SB 2681, “protects” people of faith from having to bend to laws or other government policies that they claim violate their deeply-held religious beliefs. A pharmacist could refuse to fill a prescription for HIV medication or contraception. A teacher could refuse to teach children of a same-sex couple. A DMV worker could refuse to administer a driving test to a person who is transgender. A waitress could refuse service to a gay man or lesbian. In the extreme, a man could refuse to take direction at his job from a female supervisor.

The bill could allow any religion — regardless of how mainstream or far from the mainstream — to establish a foothold in Mississippi, as no particular religion may be “protected.” Observers of all religions, including Sharia law, Satanism, and other non-Christianist religions, will also have the right to act, or not act, based on their deeply-held religious beliefs.

UPDATE: Mississippi Governor Signs Not One But Two Anti-Gay ‘Religious Freedom’ Bills Into Law

“From its inception,” Rev. Jasmine Beach-Ferrara, executive director of the Campaign for Southern Equality told The New Civil Rights Movement yesterday by telephone, the goal of the bill has been “to create a license to discriminate under the guise of protecting religious freedom.”

The law will go into effect July 1.

Reuters reported the governor’s intent to sign the legislation.

Hat tip: Joe Jervis
Image by Sen. Derrick Simmons via Twitter

SeanLiberty13 April 2, 2014 at 7:48 pm

This WILL be applied equally to refusing service to anti-gay TRASH.

LGBT and straight allies in Mississippi, you now have the legal right in that nasty third-worldesque barbarian state to refuse to serve or employ anti-gay "Christian" trash. Have some fun with it and see if they like it.

If your religious belief is that you should feed "Christians" to lions? Go ahead. State law now says you can.

Meri70 April 2, 2014 at 7:56 pm

maybe we should start an LGBT Religion, all we need are some pamphlets, and a book describeing our laws, and then we can say it is against our religion to wait on them, and watch them get all p*$$ed off cause they cant just go into our stores.

JustJinxed April 3, 2014 at 2:30 am

Already done, I am a Gayist.
Bow to the great rainbow flamingo! We shall feast upon glitter and show tunes!

sfbob April 2, 2014 at 7:54 pm

No way in hell am I setting foot in Mississippi. Even though my partner has family there. I know he feels exactly the same as I do.

dbcexplorer April 2, 2014 at 8:08 pm

I would expect nothing less from Pississipee. This will end up in the Supreme Court at a waste of millions of taxpayer dollars just like the rest of this crap going around the nation. If I were in one of these states, and we will soon be in the battle for equality, I'd be really pissed when this money could go to things like feeding the hungry, child protective and welfare services and care. Backwards bastards!

Skip April 3, 2014 at 11:43 am

And that causes me to conclude, and rightly so I think, that all of these stupid cases that end up going to the Supremes is just another front of the starve the beast strategy by clogging up and wasting money in the courts.

SantiAcosta April 3, 2014 at 12:29 am

Humankind is the only species that says it believes in God and acts like it doesn’t.

porkpine April 3, 2014 at 10:55 am

If this passes, I hope the Internet providers say "No Christians Allowed".

BearFlagCitizen April 3, 2014 at 11:36 am

Dear Gov. Bryant,

As a Pagan, I now wonder, since Christians do not follow my religious moral code, can I now legally refuse service to Christians?

Signed,
Need more lions.

milomurray April 3, 2014 at 7:33 pm

Well, I'm a Christian and a homosexual as well and MY faith doesn't allow for discriminatory bigots who pervert words of love to facilitate their own stubborn need not to evolve with the rest of the civilized world. So, I suppose I could just as easily set up shop in Mississippi and use this new law to keep your 'good people' out of my door? You know, because I find them offensive to my religion.

Big Jared April 3, 2014 at 10:20 pm

I wonder how they'll like it if some Muslims were to invoke this….but of course there be no Muslims in the time machine of Mississippi.

jenxty April 4, 2014 at 12:22 am

Jefferson writes: "Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between Man & his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, & not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between Church and State."

jenxty April 4, 2014 at 12:38 am

Its necessary to protect the right to our freedom of religion, just as it is necessary to protect society and citizenship from religious dogma. The separation of church and state is a method of upholding balance of forces which at there worst may oppose each other. If every state advocated biblical law as a means of governing, we would be at the helm of civil unrest. This is what makes wars (religious persecution) and there is no court of law that can deem this bill legitimate. It cannot stand up to our constitutional rights. Its sad to say that Mississippi is showing its true colors of ignorance…They're in dire need of a serious rainbow flag pole with Jesus leading the parade, because no one knew prejudice like he did.

{ 1 trackback }