by David Badash on October 31, 2013

in Marriage,News,Politics

Post image for Breaking: Hawaii Gay Marriage In Danger By GOP Lawmaker Suing To ‘Shut This Whole Thing Down’

A Republican state lawmaker intent on blocking same-sex marriage in Hawaii has filed a lawsuit claiming lawmakers do not have constitutional authority to change the state’s definition of marriage. Representative Bob McDermott, 50, the Republican Minority Whip, is suing over the state’s 1998 constitutional amendment, which reads that the state “legislature shall have the power to reserve marriage to opposite-sex couples.”

Governor Neil Abercrombie, the state legislature, and state Attorney General David M. Louie have all agreed that the language gives the legislature the power to extend marriage to same-sex couples.

Rep. McDermott told the Associate Press he is working to get a judge to “to shut this whole thing down.”

McDermott, whose state website states he “has been married for 25 years and is the father of eight children,” does not agree, despite Louie’s office letter to the contrary.

“I was there in 1998 as a member of the State House … a claim few in office today can make,” McDermott said in a statement. “The people thought they were answering the question once and for all. However, the horrible language that was foisted upon the people by the Senate Judiciary committee at the time left us with no choice but to accept the amendment. This explains the mess we are in today.“

But McDermott is clearly operating on a scorched earth campaign. Just two days ago he attempted what would have amounted to a coup of the Republican side of the state House, by attempting to overthrow current House GOP leadership to install more conservative leaders.

McDermott has spent a good portion of his time in the legislature opposing the LGBT community. Last summer he called Hawaii’s civil union’s law the “worst” legislation the state had ever passed.

“Civil Unions gave ‘all rights and benefits of marriage’ to same sex couples. If you disagree with this, you are labeled a hater, a bigot, ignorant, or unenlightened. Non-sense,” McDermott told Honolulu Civil Beat:

The state has a compelling interest in providing a healthy, wholesome, nurturing environment for the children in their custody due to parental abuse. When those children, who are damaged both literally and figuratively, are placed into the foster/adoption pool, the state has a moral obligation, responsibility, a duty to ensure that they are placed in the most optimal situation possible – clearly, that is with a loving mom and dad.

These children are already at a disadvantage, they deserve the highest degree of normalcy and order possible. It is beyond dispute that a loving mother and father provide the best chance for children to be successful. I speak not from idle chatter heard in the faculty lounge, but from real life experience in these issues.

Despite the dedicates of the PC police, there is absolutely a difference between the nurturing, love and tenderness that a mom can deliver and that of two men who practice homosexuality. In fact, science tells us that a child cannot be created without a male and female. So why would we ever obligate a child to an artificial situation where they will never ever have a mother or father to speak of? Who speaks for the child? Do they have a choice in the matter?

Imagine for a moment, a loving husband and wife go into to adopt a child, next to them are two men who practice homosexuality. All things being equal, if the Judge says, I think the child would do better with a mom and dad, he is now a bigot. In my view he is exercising common sense.

Adults pushing this issue have overlooked the impact upon children. This should be a child centered issue, not an adult center issue based on a life style that they choose based on psychological behavior and not genetics. This entire debate misses the question, who speaks for the Kids? I will.

Image

MiddleGrounds October 31, 2013 at 5:51 pm

Someone wanted to mate with this thing? Worse yet, it produced spawnlings???

Ew.

MARTinNJ212 October 31, 2013 at 6:22 pm

If ever there was an argument for asexual reproduction, he is it.

mirlady4sm November 4, 2013 at 1:37 am

May God Bless Rep. McDermott!

sam3915 November 4, 2013 at 10:32 am

The Real God is going to kill all you Nazi pseudo-Christians.

Robroberts2013 October 31, 2013 at 6:05 pm

If he succeeds at this he better be ready for the epic shitstorm of counter suits to come. Typical Republican strategy — not going your way? Change the rules, move the goalsposts or take your marbles and fo home.

aggiecowboy October 31, 2013 at 9:04 pm

And if it were the other way around, he would be loudly denouncing his opponents for using "judicial activism" to sidestep a vote in the legislature. These "New Age Uber-Religious Republicans" love democracy, unless the vote goes against them, then it's anti-christian tyranny. They love the courts, unless the courts rule against them, then it's "judicial activism" and "legislation from the bench". They tie themselves in knots trying to prevent our form of government from working the way it was meant to work. As the Founding Fathers knew, it wouldn't be a foreign power that would bring down the US government, rather the US would be destroyed from within by religious nutjobs.

Pinky_Nixon October 31, 2013 at 6:06 pm

"…a hater, a bigot, ignorant, or unenlightened." Yep, he's pretty much right on the money. Just change the "or" to an "and", and I agree 100%.

MARTinNJ212 October 31, 2013 at 6:21 pm

"If you disagree with this, you are labelled a hater, a bigot, ignorant." But ya are Blanche, ya are.

david0296 October 31, 2013 at 8:21 pm

"The people thought they were answering the question once and for all."

He's an idiot. Laws are NEVER permanent… even constitutional amendments. 50 years ago, when bigoted people voted for laws banning interracial marriage, they also thought they were answering the question once and for all. Of course those people also denied that they were bigots. History decided otherwise. — He's also an idiot for using adoption as a means to discriminate against gay citizens. Procreation and child rearing are not required in order to be married. As a "lawmaker", he should know this.

That being said, I will wager my entire life savings and say that this guy is a self-loathing closet case. He probably married a woman to please his God; and now he wants to make sure that gay couples can't get married because they should be forced to live their lives in an unhappy unfulfilling marriage like he did. I'd pity this guy if he weren't such a vile scumbag.

xybender2 November 1, 2013 at 1:47 am

This idiot needs to stop breeding.

RayneMan November 1, 2013 at 2:34 am

Indeed. Eight is Enough.

(sorry, couldn't resist)

RayneMan November 1, 2013 at 2:27 am

This line right here is why he, and people like him, will continue to lose: "based on a life style that they choose based on psychological behavior and not genetics." Let's break this down one mistake at a time:

A.) It isn't a "life style". I can't put it on and take it off like a tacky Hawaiian flower-print shirt. It's simply a "life", just as anyone else's is.

B.) "they choose"….I didn't "choose" anything. It was chosen for me just as his was chosen for him, either through genetics, hormones or environmental factors, the likes of which are beyond my abilities to recall or change, or some combination of the above.

C.) "psychological behavior"….I'm not sure what that even means. There are psychological conditions and then there are behaviors that arise from such. The term "psychological behaviors" is word salad nonsense. Am I doing things in my head? If he meant to say that we're all mental cases, to that I say, "prove it or shut up". Preferably the latter.

D.) "not genetics"….again, "prove it or shut up". You can't. All you can do is vomit up personal opinion based on your own internal struggles and hatreds. You having an opinion doesn't make that opinion automatically fact.

On a side note, he repeated uses the phrase "practice homosexuality" as if it's witchcraft, religion, or a friggin' violin, or something. Sweetie, I don't need to practice…I've got this shit down pat. *triple snap*

Such a shame…I usually find the older ginger bears attractive. Not this time. *walks away*

sam3915 November 2, 2013 at 5:39 am

Is Hawaii state Rep. Bob McDermott a Mormon? I can't find the answer readily in a google search? Does anyone know? Because if he is, he's acting at the direction of Mormon Church leaders.

sam3915 November 2, 2013 at 1:54 pm

Sexual orientation is a very real "thing". It's a computer program and computer programs are "things" — even when they're created and programmed by nature/nurture (with or without some kind of divine intelligence influence), and are therefore extremely complicated, biological computer programs within extremely complicated biological computers. Humans aren't anywhere near close to understanding the brain to be able to understand it's neurological mechanism of sexual orientation. And even if eventually it is fully understood someday in the far future, that doesn't necessarily mean that future or existing sexual orientation can be manipulated by self and/or other human programming or reprogramming (with or without some kind of divine intelligence influence).

WingedPaladin November 4, 2013 at 5:20 am

God: "So many people want to say that I am against gay sexuality— or the acting out of it. Yet I make no judgment, on this or any other choice you make. People want to make all kinds of value judgments— about everything— and I kind of spoil the party. I won’t join them in those judgments, which is especially disconcerting to those who say that I originated them. I do observe this: There was once a time when people thought that marriage between people of differing races was not only inadvisable, but against the law of God. (Amazingly, some people still think this.) They pointed to their Bible as their authority— even as they do for their authority on questions surrounding homosexuality."

Walsch, NealeDonald (2005-10-20). The Complete Conversations with God (pp. 281-282). Penguin Group US. Kindle Edition.

In her book, “Crossing Over & Coming Home,” Liz Dale, Ph.D. documents 21 near-death experiences of gays and lesbians.

One story puts it best:

"If being gay or lesbian is such a horrible thing, I’m sure God’s angels (my six spiritual guides) would have been told by God to tell me of my gay life being the “wrong” way to live. It was not mentioned or brought up in any way." (p. 125)

Andre, a sound technician and musician from the San Francisco area, gives this very detailed account that began with a ruptured appendix. During his account, which turnes from a trip to Guerneville, California into a mountain assent into heaven. Along the way, he askes his spiritual companions a fateful question:

"4:44 P.M. once again we began my review of my life. This time, I could see all the self-doubt that I had in my life centered around the question of my being of any worth to god, since I was a gay man. It was then that I mustered up the courage to ask these beings something I could sence they were waiting for me to ask. I asked, "Is it o.k. to be gay?" and they laughed and said, "who do you think made gay people?" I remember us laughing for what seemed like 1000 years. I felt like I fit in for the first time in my entire life….completely fit in." (p. 32)

Near-Death Experiences of Gays and Lesbians http://www.near-death.com/dale.html

MARTinNJ212 November 4, 2013 at 8:09 am

You seem to think a lot about gay men having sex. What is the expression? "You do the math."