Barilla Pasta Chairman: ‘I Would Not Do A Commercial With A Homosexual Family’

by David Badash on September 26, 2013

in Bigotry Watch,News

Post image for Barilla Pasta Chairman: ‘I Would Not Do A Commercial With A Homosexual Family’

Guido Barilla has some explaining to do. The chairman of the $5.25 billion worldwide Italian food monolith says he would never show a gay family in his advertising — and if gay people don’t like it the can go eat someone else’s pasta.

In an interview yesterday with an Italian radio talk show, Barilla made clear he considers the “traditional family” and women “sacral.”

LOOK: 12 Best Responses To Barilla’s ‘I Would Not Do A Commercial With A Homosexual Family’

“I would never do a commercial with a homosexual family,” Barilla said, according to a Google translation. “We will not be advertising with homosexuals, because we like the traditional family. If the gays do not agree, they can always eat pasta from another manufacturer. Everyone is free to do whatever they want provided it does not annoy others.”

“We have a slightly different culture,” Barilla said, via a Huffington Post translation of the interview. “For us, the ‘sacral family’ remains one of the company’s core values. Our family is a traditional family. If gays like our pasta and our advertisings, they will eat our pasta; if they don’t like that, they will eat someone else’s pasta. You can’t always please everyone not to displease anyone.

“The women are crucial in this,” Barilla added.

“I respect same-sex marriage because that concerns people who want to contract marriage, but I absolutely don’t respect adoptions in gay families, because that concerns a person who is not the people who decide,” Barilla also said.

Of course, after a great deal of criticism and calls for a boycott, Barilla tried to apologize.

“With reference to statements made yesterday,” a Buzzfeed translation notes, “I apologize if my words have generated controversy or misunderstanding, or if they have hurt the sensibilities of some people. In the interview I simply wanted to highlight the central role of the woman in the family.”

Apparently, in Italy, gay people don’t have families and women are never lesbian.

Images via Barilla on Facebook

russellsvocation September 26, 2013 at 12:46 pm

Damn, and I like Barilla foods.

SeanLiberty13 September 26, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Done with them. Mussolini wannabe. General Mills has their own pasta brand and Crate and Barrel has a pasta maker that I have wanted for months so i'll support those equality companies.

Llantha September 26, 2013 at 1:15 pm

Well, I guess that the Capo Barillo didn't understand that homos have friends. So maybe it will be a tad more than 10% of the population which decides to eat where they are welcome.

labman57 September 26, 2013 at 9:36 pm

"… if they don't like that, they will eat someone else's pasta."

File this under: "Be careful what you wish for!"

lizzy464 September 26, 2013 at 10:48 pm

i will never buy anything from them again that is totally wrong

GLBTQUERTI September 27, 2013 at 4:59 am

To be fair, the original statement the Barilla person made (although very clumsily stated) was not a general homophobic statement, it was a statement specifically about gay MALE adoptive families, understood by the author as neglecting the importance of the mother. The author did expressly state that they were in support of gay marriage, and that their concern was with adoption. Obviously the author did not consider (was probably not aware of) such complexities as natural/ blended families and the complexities of gender etc. They used gay to mean gay male only – but that ambiguity is understandable given terms such as "gay and lesbian" which structurally imply gay doesn't include lesbian. Even in the rainbow media there are many examples of gay male parenting being associated with orphan farming (deliberately commissioning motherless children) which flies in the face of what is known about the importance of biological connections, particularly birth mothers. There are many creative ways for Gay men to be parents without resorting to unethical closed practices, but it is not this persons fault that they associate the two, when often they are spoken of as a package. I have serious ethical concerns about anyone (gay straight or otherwise) orphan farming, or intentionally engineering situations where children cannot know their mother. Parenting isn't a right.

coralrocks2 September 27, 2013 at 1:31 pm

Amazing a guy from Italy where most mens' most hated words are honey, I'm home; since mistresses and adultery are so rampant. The former President Berlusconi had Bunga Sex Parties with prostitutes and openly cheated on his wife. Yet this guy wants to preach family values?
Give me a break. Hope the company goes down the tubes just like I'm going to do to his sauce in my pantry!

LOrion September 27, 2013 at 3:35 pm

Wonderful comment on Google+ … No problem boycotting, Their pasta is mushy anyway, kind of like their brains