Anti-Gay Marriage Bill Created ‘To Protect Caucasian Race’ Says Senator’s Wife

by David Badash on May 2, 2012

in Bigotry Watch,Discrimination,Marriage,News,Politics

Post image for Anti-Gay Marriage Bill Created ‘To Protect Caucasian Race’ Says Senator’s Wife

The wife of the state senator who authored Amendment One, North Carolina’s anti-gay marriage constitutional amendment that would write discrimination into their constitution, says her husband wrote the bill “to protect the caucasian race,” according to a reporter and poll workers present.

The line from the radical religious right has been same-sex marriage is a sin because the Bible says so, and children deserve a mom and a dad, and marriage is one man, one woman because only heterosexual unions can create children (all, ludicrous on their face,) but now gay people getting married will kill off the caucasian race? Pray tell, how?

Pam Spaulding explains:

Chad Nance who is a freelance journalist in Winston-Salem and is covering the election here in NC, recorded the wife of NC Sen. Peter Brunstetter confirming that she believes that Amendment One’s destiny is not only to save marriage, it apparently also has something to do with white power preservation. (!)

Nance said he recorded a conversation with the woman, whose name is Jodie Brunstetter, on video, and that she confirmed that she used the term “Caucasian” in a discussion about the marriage amendment, but insisted that otherwise her comments had been taken out of context by other poll workers.

…Nance paraphrased the remarks, as told to him by those who were present: “During the conversation, Ms. Brunstetter said her husband was the architect of Amendment 1, and one of the reasons he wrote it was to protect the Caucasian race. She said Caucasians or whites created this country. We wrote the Constitution. This is about protecting the Constitution. There already is a law on the books against same-sex marriage, but this protects the Constitution from activist judges.”

Nance said he recruited a friend, who works for the Coalition to Protect All North Carolina Families, to witness his interview with Jodie Brunstetter. He said Brunstetter reluctantly acknowledged that she had used the term “Caucasian” and then repeated the statement previously attributed to her, but substituted the pronoun “we” for “Caucasian. Nance said Brunstetter insisted there was nothing racial about her remarks, but could not explain why she used the term “Caucasian.”

Spaulding, a North Carolina resident and creator of the well-read Pam’s House Blend, has worked tirelessly to fight Amendment One. She points to this article in a local North Carolina paper, which offers a transcript and more local details.

Image : Facebook

EmmaLib May 2, 2012 at 10:28 am

Lol, protects the constitution from activist judges, but not from racist, bigoted, Christian zealots wishing to deny minorities of rights that they themselves have. Greedy Odd People.

CatieECU May 3, 2012 at 12:13 am

EmmaLib, PLEASE don't loop all Christians into supporting this trash of a bill. My Christian "brothers" that support this bill on the pretense of God not liking homosexuals are a shame to my religion. I am as much of a Christian as any other pretender claiming to follow the faith only by "hating the right things". I can see the damage this bill will cause. Not only will my own Christian homosexual friends not be able to be wed, but children birthed out of an unmarried couple will lose their health insurance. And I have read several articles that attest to the fact that NC politicians will use this bill as precedent to introduce additional bills that will further define marriage as a union between a heterosexual couple of the SAME RACE. I am currently in an interracial relationship myself, and I won't stand for this bill to be passed. It is clearly misguided and for lack of a better term, evil. But, as I said before, please do not let this bill define how you see Christian people. MY god is a loving god. The Christian God is a loving God, and so is every deity, in my opinion. I hate when members of my religion use their perception of God as a means to justify discrimination. Anyone who reads this should know that the Christian faith is not one born out of hate. To the believers that I know, Jesus Christ was a loving man and Son of God. Love is the TRUE foundation of the Christian religion. Remember that. #ihatefalseChristians….

Nitraking May 3, 2012 at 11:01 pm

Not to be rude, but what in the hell is a "Christian" anyways? The lumping of all Bible-preaching religions into the word Christian is both inaccurate and generally frustrating. Unless you are purely non-denominational, you are NOT Christian; you are Catholic, Lutheran, Baptist, Anglican, Mormon (yes, I have Mormon friends that call themselves Christian), or whatever separate religion branched off of the idea of Christianity. And yes, many of these denominations are STARKLY different; to group them up under a single "religion" is ignorant and would have their founders rolling in their graves. Am I the only one that realizes this and understands its idiocy?

AdamSOF May 2, 2012 at 10:41 am

What does this even mean? This amendment will do a number of horribly unpleasant things, but I don't see how it will protect caucasians. Is she trying to sabotage this?

raeannt May 2, 2012 at 12:44 pm

The fact that Caucasians generally require no special protecting notwithstanding, wha?? Her reasoning escapes me.

bonjupatten May 2, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Let's kill them. they need to come back again with a new prospective or then again, not at all. I really do think it's time to toss the bible, burn all these bullshit books – people need to take responsibility and govern themselves.

mrchode May 2, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Jesus Christ I can't tell which one is the female?

Tony May 2, 2012 at 6:27 pm

I honestly facepalmed.

I'm constantly amused at how white straight Christians have somehow become convinced they're the persecuted ones in modern society.

No, you're not given AS MANY extra privileges as you used to be given, that's not the same as persecution.