Ann Coulter To Parents Of LGBTQ Kids: ‘Disown Your Son’ If They’re Gay

by David Badash on October 16, 2012

in News

Post image for Ann Coulter To Parents Of LGBTQ Kids: ‘Disown Your Son’ If They’re Gay

Ann Coulter, of course, was “just kidding,” no doubt, when she wrote today via Twitter, “Last Thursday was national ‘coming out’ day. This Monday is national ‘disown your son’ day.”

Ha ha! Wow, that is so funny. I’m sure that the more than 100,000 homeless LGBTQ youth — who literally have been disowned and kicked out of their homes by their parents just because they are LGBTQ — are laughing. Hysterically.

There are 2.9 million children in America living with no parents – and 1.6 million American children are homeless. 2.9 million is almost 1 percent of the entire U.S. population – and that figure is eight years old. Half a million U.S. children live with foster parents.

Those half a million foster kids? Only half will graduate high school, only 2% will earn a Bachelor’s degree. The day they turn 18, 30% will have no health insurance and will be on public assistance.

LGBTQ kids and teens are four times as likely to be homeless and up to eight times more likely to attempt suicide as their heterosexual peers.

We know Ann Coulter isn’t funny. She wasn’t funny last week when she claimed on Bill Maher’s show that racism in America has disappeared.

Ann Coulter, you’ll remember, headline a fundraiser for the gay Republican Tea Party group, GOProud, then went on to tell them that civil rights are only for Blacks — something she’s been repeating on her recent book tour appearances.

Last month, Coulter went on “The View” and said the O.J. Simpson verdict was good for Black America, and that Liberals have race-mongered. Coulter also claimed “Republicans have never” engaged in voter suppression, which, as we learned later that same day, is remarkably false.

Fortunately, Whoopi Goldberg told Coulter her views on race and Black America are “bullshit.”

And that what Coulter’s “joke” today is. Bullshit.

Of course, we all know that Coulter does this because she’s lonely, desperate for attention, and wants to sell more books. So, let’s indulge her need for attention and take this opportunity to help shed some light on the subject of LGBTQ kids and teens and what they face.

“I recognize that this is a joke, and that she is not really taken seriously in any context anyway, but with this coming right after National Coming Out Day, at the start of Ally Week and just days before Spirit Day, I thought this would be a good opportunity to talk about this idea of hers,” Aaron McQuade, Director of News and Field Media at GLAAD writes:

There was a time in our culture’s history when, if thousands of LGBT kids were to come out on the same day, the next week genuinely would be exactly what Ann describes, all across the country. Fathers disowning their sons and kicking them out onto the street. Mothers locking up their daughters or sending them to charm school. Children forced to undergo electro-shock or even worse forms of “therapy” to rid themselves of their orientation. To learn how to not be true to themselves.

And although we’ve come a long way from those ideas as a cultural collective, I have no doubt that last week, more than a few American households experienced the tragedy that Ann joked about. Approximately 50% of LGBT youth experience some degree of family rejection. There are as many as 100 thousand homeless LGBT youth on our nation’s streets, and it’s estimated that LGBT youth make up as much as 40% of our nation’s homeless youth population. LGBT youth who are completely rejected by their parents are more than 8 times as likely to have attempted suicide. Pretty funny, right?

Since Coulter is such good buddies with the folks at GOProud, I’m sure we can expect them to denounce her comment immediately, right?

Hat tip: Truth Wins Out, via Towleroad

Related:

New Study Confirms 4 In 10 Homeless Youth Are Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender

2.9 Million Orphans, Happy Father’s Day

Gay Marriage, Abortion Aren’t Problems. Child Homelessness, Poverty Are.

scottsteaux63 October 16, 2012 at 12:50 pm

If that vicious, arrogant, nasty-minded bitch is an example of where this country is heading, I want no part of it. She is unbelievably vile.

ivegoneswimming October 16, 2012 at 1:14 pm

…and this tuesday is disown your bigot parents day!

Dave_Koch October 16, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Coulter's hate speech and blatant and repugnant bulling of children who are seeking understanding and compassion engenders only four words from me. Coulter is a Kunt !

mrsrieckhoff October 16, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Why doesn't Ann Coulter come out ? I'm pretty sure she used to be a guy…..

FlexSF September 15, 2013 at 3:26 pm

Your post is a bit transphobic. You've used gender and transsexuality as a negative and hurled it as an insult. If you're focused on her physicality, I would say that she has a great body, and a face to protect it.

_Elizadeath_ October 12, 2013 at 12:01 am

I would totally show her some of my 'Bi love'…but I get to wear the strap on and she has to call me Hillary. Then afterwards she must cry and beg my forgiveness for being such a cruel b!tch.

InvokeRights October 17, 2012 at 7:36 am

This bitch NEEDS to learn the crap that MANY LGBT people has and HAVE gone through! How dare she say something so insensitive and hurtful to a huge community of people that she APPARENTLY has NO CLUE about!

Maybe she should be living their lives and see how much of an outcast she is!

I got lucky. I was adopted by my mom and dad, and they WERE VERY loving and understanding when I came out.

Many are not!

So again I say…

Stupid Bitch.

lingin103 September 11, 2013 at 5:53 pm

Ann Coulter is no longer the media darling she once was. She has been reduced to Hannity's show and maybe a couple of others but she is no longer a regular presence outside the Fox bubble. That's why she keeps making this increasingly unhinged statements: her desperate need for attention. Ignore her. There are other people out there who are hate mongers and we need to "Coulter" them.

FlexSF September 15, 2013 at 3:23 pm

In a lazy sort of way, she is showing her affection towards the gays. I failed to acknowledge the importance of the day, and this post reminded me of it. If it weren't for Ann C., it would have totally been forgotten. Conversely, her half in the door, half out the door point of view of gay reality is telling. She is like a peacock. She stands in the door with her tail opened into the air. She sprays her ass mist, and causes a commotion, but she's just a little bird.

MAGirouxLewis October 4, 2013 at 10:51 pm

<div class="idc-message" id="idc-comment-msg-div-729700426"><a class="idc-close" title="Click to Close Message" href="javascript: IDC.ui.close_message(729700426)"><span>Close Message</span> Comment posted. <p class="idc-nomargin"><a class="idc-share-facebook" target="_new" href="http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fthenewcivilrightsmovement.com%2Fann-coulter-to-parents-of-lgbtq-kids-disown-your-son-if-theyre-gay%2Fnews%2F2012%2F10%2F16%2F51354#IDComment729700426&t=I%20just%20commented%20on%20Ann%20Coulter%20To%20Parents%20Of%20LGBTQ%20Kids%3A%20%E2%80%98Disown%20Your%20Son%E2%80%99%20If%20They%E2%80%99re%20Gay%20%7C%20The%20New%20Civil%20Rights%20Movement&quot; style="text-decoration: none;"><span class="idc-share-inner"><span>Share on Facebook</span></span> or <a href="javascript: IDC.ui.close_message(729700426)">Close MessageSomebody please cut her damn tounge off so she can't keep pissing people off for a cushy living with illogical and paranoid hate speech. It's just as bad as polluting the air with noxious gases.

atunionbob December 23, 2013 at 1:27 am

This woman is nothing more than a Nazi. I have opened my home to many homeless GLBT youth over the years. I fed them, clothed them, helped them get back into school, and treated them like my own. I still have an open door to any one like that, all they need do is contact me, no sex involved. Yet this woman has the gall to tell people to toss their children away. Throw them out into the cold winter streets. No money, no shelter, and no food. What pride the Republicans must have for this witch.

dragonladyboa January 4, 2014 at 11:49 am

Icebox anne. let me tell you how NOT funny that was. I got my "adopted" son by a move exactly like this. His own mother kicked him out when he was 12 years old because he came out to her. he has gone through so much pain and heartache because of it, and keeps trying so hard to win her love. he's now 27, still calls me mom, and still tries to make up to his birth mom for being gay. Seriously, you need to die already

futuristfood February 23, 2014 at 11:07 am

Horseface twat needs a kick in the teeth. may we be relieved of her by hellfire soon. i seriously hope something happens to her to make her see life through different eyes.. she's just too cocky and nasty,. she needs to get fucked by life really hard to learn her lesson,.
Edit Delete

Jordy May 26, 2014 at 1:43 am

Do people really listen to this bimbo, and take her seriously?