14-Year Old Talk Show Host: ‘President Obama Is Making Kids Gay’ (Video)

by David Badash on June 5, 2012

in Bigotry Watch,Civil Rights,Discrimination,News,Politics

Post image for 14-Year Old Talk Show Host: ‘President Obama Is Making Kids Gay’ (Video)

Caiden Cowger, a 14-year old who hosts a popular conservative radio talk show in West Virginia claims that “President Obama is making kids gay,” and says that 30 kids he knows who weren’t gay when they were growing up have now decided to subscribe to the “belief” of homosexuality. He calls this “sickening.”

What a pity the mind of a young teen has been indoctrinated into hate. This teenager deserves our compassion, not hate, but it’s also important that school officials, given the statements he has made in the video below, are are aware of his views. Certainly, ignoring this would be wrong.

Ordinarily, we wouldn’t bother to even mention the rantings of 14-year olds — more for their privacy reasons than anything else — but Caiden Cowger has thrown himself into the ring. Cowger has written a book, Being A Young Conservative, which has notes of support from Rudy Giuliani and Glenn Beck’s chief of staff. Cowger’s radio show is on Facebook, and he has a website for his radio show. Cowger has become so famous he has interviewed Herman Cain, and West Virginia candidate for the U.S. Senate John Raise, adding that he “spoke at the Annual Harrison County Lincoln Day Dinner. He spoke following Senate Candidate John Raese, with Candidate for Governor Bill Maloney, and Candidate for Congress David McKinley.”

Clearly, Caiden Cowger, a Pentecostal Christian, has not shied away from the microphone, or controversy, so it’s only fair his misconceptions and attacks on gay people be addressed, in a supportive but firm manner. Cowger needs to know that what he is doing is wrong and hateful.

Homosexuality is not a “belief” — but religion is. No one is asking him to change his religion. Were he truly a conservative, he would know that he has no right to try to change gay people. Were he to spend more time learning, instead of preaching, he would know that homosexuality is not changeable.

Cowger also needs to know it is bullying to tell kids they are going to hell because they’re gay. His religious views don’t trump their rights. If he’s doing this while in school he’s crossed the line.

Here’s a sample, from the video below.

“You know what? I knew these kids — some of them I was friends with,” Cowger confesses, insisting, “they were not, homosexuals.”

“They just decided, ‘I think I’m going to be gay,’” Cowger says. He claims that “they are being encouraged” to become gay, by President Obama.

Cowger continues, “When you’re trying to teach them the word of God, and they consider that bullying, yeah, I find that a big problem with not being lowed to convert other people to my religion.”

“And telling them, ‘it is wrong, homosexuality, the belief is condoned by God and you will go to hell if you continue to follow this belief unless you repent.’ It’s getting to the point where I can’t say that anymore.”

“Homosexuality is a belief. It’s not mandatory in that person.”

Cowger is under the mistaken belief that it not only is his right but his duty to “witness” to them, which in his mind means he is required to “convert” them from their homosexual “belief.”

Wendy Gittleson writing at Addicting Info notes that “14-year-old Caiden Cowger does seem to be old enough to know what his well-spoken words mean.”

What’s important is that we not attack Cowger. We should offer him help, and support, and let him know that his behavior — trying to change gay children, or telling them they’re going to hell if they don’t “repent” — is unacceptable. Hopefully his parents will do a better job.

Parkerm01 June 5, 2012 at 7:22 pm

I feel sorry for Caiden. His guardians, preachers and the other christian zealots have "made him" a biggot. He is not to blame. The blank slate of a child's mind is so easily indocrinated and manipulated with the mythology and irrational beliefs of religion from such an early age that they are helpless to combat all of the dogma.

Scott_Rose June 5, 2012 at 9:10 pm

I don't feel the least the bit sorry for this gay-bashing theocRAT. There were teens his exact age in Nazi Germany, who grasped that what was going on was entirely wrong, and found ways to present resistance to it. There were German Christian teens, who at risk of their own lives, help to protect Jews. There is no such thing as a gay American teen fomenting faith-based hate against heterosexuals. I don't feel sorry for this pipsqueak bigot; he needs to drink a tall steaming glass of STFU.

Scott_Rose June 5, 2012 at 9:13 pm

I liked this comment from a reader of the pipsqueak bigot's Facebook page:
Natasha Guider My 6 year old has more common sense than you do.

YBH92 June 6, 2012 at 1:52 am

He is just … oh so smart. Too bad he won't have a girlfriend, because no one would put up with such a jackass for long.

keithff June 6, 2012 at 3:04 am

I think the main thing here is this child needs to be taken off the air, If he was an adult he would be off the air before he had time to finish his comments

williamtheconqueror1976 June 6, 2012 at 11:00 am

Speaking from personal experience, I wonder if this 14 year old is actually in the closet. I went through something similar in my younger teen years where I actually bashed other gay people out of fear of being known as gay. I wonder if that is possibly at least a part of what is influencing him. I'm certain his parents are probably bigoted people and have taught him this way, but for a kid his age to actually act upon his parents bigotry in such a manner is more than likely a sign that he is fearful that he will be discovered as being gay himself. I know it happens because it happened to me. I wish I could got back to that time in my life when I went through that phase and take it back. Unfortunately that's not possible. I hope that someone will help him see the error of his ways like I had. I actually feel a little bit sorry for him that he feels the need to act this way.

smkovalinsky June 6, 2012 at 11:32 am

I had wondered the same thing.

I do not think you should regret that period in your life, because it has enabled you to discern the same motives in other people of that age group.

I would not be surprised if 10 years from now this child looks back on this time in his life and thinks, "Oh god, how could I have?" The trouble is, he is doing damage. I also do NOT like the way he appears to be mimicking certain notorious and far older right wing radio hosts.

Gabriel_Roybal June 6, 2012 at 11:22 am

yikes.

robertjwilson1 June 6, 2012 at 11:44 am

When I was 14, I was a rural Southern Baptist delivering sermons on the eeeeeeevils of being gay.

Now I'm a staunch atheist who couldn't be more thrilled to be out and proud.

This guy's gayer than a goose. He'll be hitting all of WV's gay hot spots (snork!) when he's 18.

jeffstick June 6, 2012 at 12:25 pm

I think it would be my civic responsibility to give this young lad a good, sound, tongue-lashing ;~ p
He'll never think about girls again after that!

rubellapox June 6, 2012 at 5:09 pm

he's going to be soooo embarrassed when he sees this in the about 5 years…

bgryphon June 6, 2012 at 7:46 pm

He won't- "This video is no longer available because the uploader has closed their YouTube account. "

pigbath June 6, 2012 at 7:21 pm

I come to warn you today, just as the prophet Jonah warned the great city of Nineveh. Repent from you evil ways and turn to the one and true living God. The God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. The God of Love and Truth.
For the Day of the Lord is coming. Repent and turn to the Lamb of God. Jesus Christ.
Don't let the Hardness of your heart or your sinful life Keep you from the Holy Father in Heaven.

bgryphon June 6, 2012 at 7:53 pm

You seem to be confusing this news and information site with a fairy tales discussion board. Please check the URL and try your post again.

LetsThinkPeople June 10, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Thank you for saying that! It's truly refreshing!

ajtoomey June 6, 2012 at 8:21 pm

No offence, but this kid isn't "bashing" gays. He even said he doesn't condone bullying them. He's entitled to speak his opinion just like anyone else. You all should get a grip on yourselves. He's not Hating and to say he should be taken off the air or censored is very dangerous

LetsThinkPeople June 10, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Agreed! He is speaking out his opinion which he has a right to speak! Freedom of the media and press!

bgryphon June 10, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Freedom of the Press refers, of course, to freedom from government censorship. And just as that person is free to speak his mind, all of us are free to reply that we think he is batsh|t crazy.

pattysboi April 6, 2013 at 5:27 pm

Yes, your little bff IS bashing glbt's. He needs to be yanked off the air, and have his license PERMANENTLY pulled.

bgryphon June 6, 2012 at 8:22 pm

His web-site is still up.. interesting to read "Caiden Cowger has attracted dozens of viewers and listeners" on caidencowgerprogram.com/radio.html – DOZENS ! ! !