Gay Marriage To Blame For Sandy Hook Shooting Says Focus On The Family Founder

by David Badash on December 17, 2012

in News,Religion

Post image for Gay Marriage To Blame For Sandy Hook Shooting Says Focus On The Family Founder

James Dobson, founder of the Family Research Council and Focus on the Family, is blaming America’s support for same-sex marriage for Friday’s tragic shooting at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut that left 20 children and six adults dead. Dobson also blames America’s supposed rejection of biblical principles, including abortion, for the massacre.

“Our country really does seem in complete disarray,” Dobson said today, as Right Wing Watch reports:

I’m not talking politically, I’m not talking about the result of the November sixth election;  I am saying that something has gone wrong in America and that we have turned our back on God.

I mean millions of people have decided that God doesn’t exist, or he’s irrelevant to me and we have killed fifty-four million babies and the institution of marriage is right on the verge of a complete redefinition.  Believe me, that is going to have consequences too.

And a lot of these things are happening around us, and somebody is going to get mad at me for saying what I am about to say right now, but I am going to give you my honest opinion: I think we have turned our back on the Scripture and on God Almighty and I think he has allowed judgment to fall upon us.  I think that’s what’s going on.

Dobson joins many in the Christian right who are claiming a rejection of God is the reason for the Sandy Hook shooting. Mike Huckabee just hours after Friday’s tragedy said the Newtown, Connecticut massacre happened because “we’ve systematically removed God from our schools.”

Dobson, considered to be a powerful Evangelical leader, founded Focus on the Family in 1977, and in 1981 founded the Family Research Council, which was certified as an anti-gay hate group in 2010. He remains chairman emeritus of Focus on the Family.

Focus On The Family during the 2008 election issued a 34-point “Letter from 2012″ that predicted how terrible America would become if Barack Obama were elected. None of the predictions became true.

Image via Focus on the Family

AaronChgo December 17, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Oh, whatever, Turkey Neck. Why don't you go hang around outside Pat Robertson's house til the hearse drives up, then try to usurp power of CBN? You and that blonde Stepford woman can fight over it.

ctdave75 December 17, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Gee, or maybe it's because of all of the heterosexual marriages that have wound up in divorce? What an absolutely imbecilic position.

jorisheise December 17, 2012 at 4:59 pm

As I have remarked elsewhere, that First Commandment keeps cropping up and I sure as hell am glad that I don't worship the same God as these perverts who make our Father such a nasty, nasty Zeus. Old Testament selectivity rules! Anything that can trump that Jesus-freak New Testament stuff about loving your enemies and consorting with tax-collectors, prostitutes, white people, females, AND GAYS!

Robroberts2013 December 17, 2012 at 6:16 pm

James Dobson is still alive?

DesertSandwitch December 17, 2012 at 8:21 pm

how sad…. and people believe what he says… sheeple one and all…. I too am glad that their god is not one that I follow because I would not want to be around when he finally gets pissed at what people are doing and saying in his name.

lepidopteryx December 17, 2012 at 8:48 pm

So God kills first graders because he's pissed off about "killing babies?" WTF?

jsroberts1960 December 18, 2012 at 12:10 am

Another idiot has jumped on the Bozo Bus – trust me, this is ALL related to MONEY and POWER!!!

Huntercgo December 18, 2012 at 9:48 am

You're right. I don't think Dobson is quite as cynically exploitive as Tony Perkins or Brian Brown, but he's not far behind. What's he going to do when gay-bashing doesn't pay any more?

ricklondonsyndication December 18, 2012 at 7:04 am

Notice the older they (these tv evangelists) get, the more they realize their mortality and irrelevance, the more absurd they get (just to get their mugs in the media "one last time"? Wouldn't it be wonderful if one decided to go out with a message of love and empathy rather than the predictable? I guess God told him this valuable information. I miss the good old days when God talked to smart people.

idahobruce December 18, 2012 at 8:57 am

I have a suggestion boycott the advertisers of Huckabee and Dobsom and let them know why. When it starts costing these slime balls money maybe they will keep their mouths shut

Richrev December 18, 2012 at 12:44 pm

These guys have plenty of money! Unfortunately, I think they actually believe what they are saying!

cipher December 18, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Right; that's why Western Europe, which is more secular than we are, has so much more violent crime. [/sarcasm]