Christian School Rejects Young Boy Because He Has Two Gay Dads

by David Badash on July 25, 2012

in Bigotry Watch,Discrimination,News,Politics,Religion

Post image for Christian School Rejects Young Boy Because He Has Two Gay Dads

A Christian school in Albuquerque, New Mexico, has rejected a three-year old boy from their pre-school program because he has two gay dads. The Hope Christian School, which runs programs from pre-K to through high school, sent a letter quoting biblical scripture, including Romans 1:26-27 and Corinthians 6:9, to the parents, who wish to remain anonymous.

The letter of rejection states in part: “Same gender couples are inconsistent with scriptural lifestyle and biblical teachings,” and “Home life doesn’t reflect the school’s belief of what a biblical family lifestyle is,” according to a report at KOAT-TV, which also has a video.

Hope Christian School, founded in 1976. Its website states its mission is “To Pray for, Equip and Send Christ-centered, passionate leaders to change the world.”

The school receives $61,455 in federal funding. Tuition ranges from over $2000 to over $6000, plus fees, and their admissions page states it “admits students of any race, color, and national or ethnic origin.”

Via the Hope Christian School website:

Statement of Faith: We believe that the Bible, both the Old and New Testaments, was given by inspiration of God, and is our only rule in matters of faith and practice. We believe in Creation, not evolution; that man was created by the direct act of God and in the image of God. We believe that Adam and Eve, in yielding to the temptation of Satan, became fallen creatures. We believe that all men are born in sin. We believe in the Incarnation, the Virgin Birth and the Diety of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. We believe in His vicarious and substitutional Atonement for the sins of mankind by the shedding of His blood on the Cross. We believe in the resurrection of His body from the tomb, His ascension into Heaven and that He is now our Advocate. We believe that He is personally coming again. We believe in His power to save men from sin. We believe in the necessity of the New Birth, and that this New Birth is through regeneration of the Holy Spirit. We believe that salvation is by grace through faith in the atoning blood of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. We believe that God is almighty and deserves our praise and worship. The method used to worship God is not as important as the fact that we do worship Him. We are created for the pleasure of God and to fulfill this purpose. God seeks true worshipers to worship Him in spirit and truth.

We believe that this statement of faith is a basis for Christian fellowship and that all born-again men and women who sincerely accept it can, and should, live together in peace and harmony through promoting the cause of Christ.

SOVERYGAY July 25, 2012 at 10:13 pm

I have 2 conflicting thoughts.!st-As a gay man I believe that Christianity as a whole is bigoted and is nothing more but extreme superstition and unbelievable Fairy Tales.That being said I'm quite aware of how most of Christianity view homosexuals,They have a right to their beliefs no matter how insane I think they are.These 2 dads shouldn't have even tried to enroll their child. I would be afraid my child would be mistreated not so much physically rather emotionally.2nd The school seems to be receiving 61,455 dollars in federal funds,I'm not real sure how federal funding works but I would imagine if you get federal dollars there are some federal rules and stipulation you must adhere too.So I get that the school has a religious bases and should be allowed to put restrictions on enrollment,but then they shouldn't be allowed to receive federal funding, if they are going against federal requirements.You can't have it both ways,if you want the federal goodies then you need to loosen up on your enrollment requirements.If you wish to stay true to your faith then the welfare check has to stop.

Serenifly July 25, 2012 at 10:43 pm

Legally, people have a right to their beliefs. What they don't necessarily have is the right is to turn those beliefs into actions. There is a huge difference between the two. Unfortunately, Christians these days try to pervert the law into a blanket exemption from all standards, rules and laws that they don't like.

angelbaby83 July 25, 2012 at 11:30 pm

My view on it is that like with anything you have both good people and bad. I have had the joy of meeting and being good friends with a number of christians who accept me for being me but I have also met those who profess to subscribe to the christian way but at the same time violate it. But I do agree with the thought that those who get the federal checks should also have to abide by non discrimination.

My own few cents as a thinking spirit and a transwoman.

Scott_Rose July 26, 2012 at 2:10 am

Who in their right mind tries to send their child to school that has all that Holy Booble nonsense in its mission statement. Do you want your child educated or brainwashed?

deleted8013205 July 26, 2012 at 10:26 am

I would like to say that as a Christian woman, I have a lot of homosexual friends. I have witnessed to them, but have never pushed my beliefs, or judged them. It's not my job or my place to do so.

I stand behind Hope Christian School 100%. Last I checked I paid federal taxes; so if everyone feels that they should not be entitled to federal funding, then my Christian tax dollars should not go towards anything that supports homosexuals, correct? Wrong! The government is aware of what Hope Christian School is. It's not like their blindly funding people. I feel as though, if they know what the scripture says, and they feel what we believe is wrong, then why would they even think of enrolling their child there?

Scott_Rose, I'm not too sure if you have ever been to a Christian school, to observe how they teach, but the absolutely do not brainwash the children. They do have a curriculum that they have to follow. In addition to the curriculum, yes, they teach the children morals, to be good people, not to steal, and to be honest and hard working. I can't believe that you would think that is brainwashing someone.

Serenifly July 26, 2012 at 11:51 am

Oh look, another ignorant liar for Jesus. In reality, so-called religious schools and universities are frequently exempt from having to follow educational standards. Just like Christianity tries to be exempt from all laws.

FYI, your fucking religion is subsidized to the tune of 70 billion dollars a year by the government. All the while not willing to follow the law and actively trying to change it at every turn.

myopinion1352 July 26, 2012 at 12:15 pm

This is such a sad reply to read.

Serenifly, FYI, I don't go to church, I was raised Catholic, but consider myself a Christian, as those are the beliefs that I follow. I have a relationship with Christ. I live a sinful life, just like you. The only difference is, I'm forgiven for my transgressions, and I strive to be a better person. I will pray for you. :)

If you get so upset about our "religion" and beliefs, why do you even spend your time commenting, and trying your hardest to hurt someone else? I couldn't imagine devoting so much time to something I didn't care about.

Serenifly July 26, 2012 at 5:48 pm

Oh, I care about religion. I care because I believe that mankind will never make any true progress as long as we are shackled by primitive superstitions. I care because of the millions of people who needlessly die because religion. I care because of the billions of people who have suffered each day of the last 1500 or so years under religious tyranny. I care because religion hurts people in immeasurable ways and it needs to stop.

And go fuck yourself too (which is what "I'll pray for you" really means). I don't live a sinful life. I don't believe in the silly fairy tale that I'm broken and worthless because 6000 years ago a woman ate a magic apple on the say of a talking snake. The whole concept of "sin" is meaningless because there are no gods.

sims1229 July 26, 2012 at 10:30 am

i am a christian and i dont hate or pass judgement on gay people. i learned that we are all children of god and that god wants me to love my neighbor. i also learned that it is not my place to judge. i learned these things from hope christian school. i went to this school for 7 years. the administration at this school are the nicest people that you will meet. the most caring, compassionate, non judgmental people. although unfortunate for the little boy, i understand where the school is coming from. it is no different than trying to enroll your child in a jewish school if you practice christianity at home. the two do not coincide.

JayJonson July 26, 2012 at 10:36 am

These parents should count themselves lucky that their kid has not been admitted to this bigoted school. In fact, I think they would be guilty of child abuse if they sent him there in the first place. The only thing that pisses me off is that this religious school is receiving taxpayer money.